Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman is a wonderful book that tells the story of a witch, who grows an enormous pumpkin with which she plans to make pie. The pumpkin grows so large, she cannot pick it, herself. One by one, others come and try to help. In the end, they learn that working together is best. This literature unit is filled with six different follow-up activities and games to target listening, language and literacy! Following reading, engage your students in activities targeting:
1. Sequencing with Pictures (which is also a great retelling tool!)
2. Comprehension Questions with two (picture) answer choices
3. Spatial Concepts- Describe where the pumpkin is in the given picture
4. Rhyme Sort- Sort pictures with like rhymes
5. Phoneme Manipulation- Make new words by moving sounds in given words.
6. The Witch's Book Walk- A game to find items in the book matching given attributes and functions
Not only will your students LOVE this cute story, they'll also have fun with these follow-up activities targeting language, listening and literacy!
Please note: The book is not included with this unit and must be purchased separately.