This is an excerpt from Amazon's popular line of Bossy Brocci Math and Big Science workbooks! [it's pronounced like "Brawsee"]
Printing should be done in Landscape and DOUBLE-SIDED, with the flip being along the 'SHORT' side.
Want MORE Power for your Dollar?
Give Brocci Bundles a Try before you buy!
Most ELA, Math and Science teachers don't have more than 100
State Tests on their shoulders - and they enjoy anywhere from 60 to
90 minutes to teach their class. But I've been handily beating the
State while teaching an average of 110 students every year - and
with only about 38 minutes for science class! It's a matter of public
record: I've crushed the State by 17 to 32 points, and by an average
of 23 points over a 5-year stretch.
All this - and with:
No Teaching Assistants,
No Remediation Class,
No Test-Prep books,
and just 38 minutes for Science class.
THAT is what I less-than-humbly call 'Teacher Effectiveness.'
So what are my kids learning, doing and using?
Bossy Brocci worksheets.
1) Determine and Record Density & various Physical Properties for 4 Liquids:
Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
Glycerol (Glycerin) in a single Data Pattern Table
2) Measure, Calculate & Record Physical Properties and Descriptions in a single Data Pattern Table:
Mass of Empty, Dry Graduated Cylinder (or other vessel)
Mass of Graduated Cylinder + Liquid
Mass of Liquid
Volume of Liquid at Meniscus (depicted in Table)
DENSITY of Room Temp Liquid (formula provided in Table)
Compare & Write Density of Liquid to Water's approx. Density of 1 as being either 'Lower' or 'Bigger'
Treat Liquid as being immiscible in water, and Classify Liquid as either a 'Floater' or 'Sinker'
3) Fill-in a total of 26 cells in 1 Data Table
4) Follow provided instructions for Making a 4-layer/4-color Density column, THEN Label & Color resulting 4 layers in provided cylinder graphic/image
5) Seal, Shake and invert 4-layer cylinder repeatedly, then return to upright and Observe, Label and Color the result in the provided cylinder graphic/image
6) Answer 20 Multiple-choice questions based on their Calculations & Observations in the preceding Data Pattern Table and 4-Layer Density Graphic Organizer
7) Correctly sequence and write a Density-layer column for Earth from a provided Word Bank (9 layers - from Inner Core to Exosphere)
8) Correctly sequence and write a 3-layer Density Column for Earth's crust (Land's Rock, Dirt & Sand, Water, Ice)
9) Discover that Density:
Is a unique & identifying physical property
Determines whether submerged objects sink or float
Contributes to layering of substances
10) Be compelled to present their work in a neat & orderly format
11) Be trained to mathematically Define & Calculate Density and Discern the importance of Density in layering of substances and Earth itself methodically & systematically
Printing should be done in Landscape and double-sided, with the flip being along the 'short' side
Science Chemistry Physical Science Physical Property Particle Packing Density Mass Volume Calculating Density Identifying Elements Substances Density of irregular solids Density of Liquids Density of Water Density Anomaly Density Inversion Intensive Properties Extensive Properties Density as an Intensive Property Density as a Unique Substance-Specific Property Temperature's Effect on Density Calculating Density by Displacement Calculating Density of Regular Geometric Solids Rectangular Prisms Cubes Density of Elements Water's Density Anomaly Density Layers Density Columns Density Layer Columns Using Density to Identify Unknowns Identifying Unknowns by their with using Density