This is a 5th grade Common Core math performance task in which students must plot points on a coordinate grid, then find distances on the map.
Activities are as follows:
1. Create a coordinate grid, plot and label ten locations.
2. Find the number of units between several locations.
3. Divide the total distance between the number of units (multiply a fraction or divide by a 2 digit divider, adding .00 to the dividend).
4. Create a route on the coordinate grid between four locations.
5. Multiply the distance of one unit by the number of units on your route.
I did this task with my 5th graders in one day. It was very challenging for them individually, even though they had the math skills to solve the problems. This might be a good activity for partners or teams, but a great learning activity for precision and perseverance!