This fun and informative lesson helps students to understand the key events of the ending of David Walliams ‘Billionaire Boy.’ In particular, students explore the concept of narrative structure, and apply the events of Billionaire Boy to each narrative stage. They explore to what extent the ending of the text fits the features of an adequate denouement.
The lesson follows a step-by-step learning journey, in which children learn through:
-Taking part in a fun group quiz to recap on the key elements of the plot leading up to the ending;
- Reading and understanding extracts from the ending of Billionaire Boy, answering comprehension questions to check their understanding;
- Understanding the features of narrative structure, and applying Billionaire Boy to the individual elements;
- Analysing how the ending of Billionaire Boy fits the features of a denouement;
- Self assessing their own learning attempts.
- Whole lesson PowerPoint - colourful and comprehensive;
- 'Narrative Structure Template (and PDF version);
- Selected extracts - Billionaire Boy ending;
- The Ending Essay Template;
- Comprehensive lesson plan.
There are also opportunities for group learning, speaking and listening, peer assessment, and whole class discussion. I originally used these resources with a mixed-ability year 7 class, however colleagues have used them for between years 3 and 9 with some adaptations.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and image rights are listed on the last page of the presentation.