The Chemistry of Biology - Biochemistry
PowerPoint and Notes for the Teacher and Student
47 Slides!! And notes!!
This powerpoint is packed with pictures, diagrams, and color! The title of this product is Biochemistry - The Chemistry of Biology. This product contains a 47 slide powerpoint presentation, a copy of notes for the teacher (9 pages), and an outline of the notes for the student (11 pages).
NOTE: This product is included in my Biochemistry Complete Unit Plan Bundle which can be viewed here: Biochemistry Bundled Unit Plan
This was written for my Biology I class. It covers the chemistry and biochemistry concepts typically found at the beginning of any Biology I text. Here is an outline of what is included:
Topics covered include:
• The Nature of Matter: Atoms, subatomic particles, elements, and compounds.
• Chemical Bonds: Ionic bonds, ions, gain and loss of electrons, covalent bonds, polar molecules, polar covalent bonds, nonpolar covalent bonds
• Water! Can’t Live Without It! The polarity of water, hydrogen bonding, cohesion, adhesion, mixtures, types of mixtures, solutions, solute, solvent, suspensions.
• Reasons why life on Earth depends on water.
• Acids, Bases, and pH: The pH scale, acids, bases, and buffers.
• Carbon Compounds: Definition of organic compound, characteristics of carbon, macromolecules, the four groups of organic compounds.
• Carbohydrates: How to recognize the structure of a carbohydrate, monomers of carbs, examples, main function of carbs in cells, monosaccharides, polysaccharides, starch, glycogen, cellulose.
• Lipids: How to recognize the structure of a lipid, examples of lipids, characteristics of lipids, building blocks of lipids, functions of lipids in cells, saturated and unsaturated fats.
• Nucleic Acids: How to recognize the structure, functions of nucleic acids in cells.
• Proteins: How to recognize the structure of a protein, functions of proteins in cells, building blocks of proteins.
• Enzymes: Function of enzymes, characteristics of enzymes, equation for how enzymes work, lock and key hypothesis, active sites
My materials are easily adaptable. You can easily add or delete material. You will receive a 47 slide powerpoint, and both a pdf and a Word document version of the student and teacher notes.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking!
You might also be interested in these products:
Lab: Testing for Organic Compounds in Foods
Biology Buzz Words: Biochemistry and The Chemistry of Life
Lab: Catalase in Plant and Animal Cells
Quiz: Organic Compounds
Organic Compounds Homework or Quiz
Organic Compounds Mix/Match Game
Lab: Release of Heat in an Enzymatic Reaction
Biochemistry Homework Assignment and Study Guide Worksheets
Biochemistry quizzes--Set of 2
Biochemistry Crossword Puzzle
Biochemistry Jeopardy Review Games - Set of 2
Lab: How Do Cells Deal With Changes in pH?
Test: The Chemistry of Life (Biochemistry)
The Properties of Water That Make Life on Earth Possible PowerPoint with Notes
For updates and news please follow me at:
My TpT Store
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (aka Science Stuff)