The Chemistry of Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Compounds
Homework Assignments and Study Guide Worksheets
First it is homework, then it is a study guide. Win-win!
This document is a 10 page student worksheet consisting of 105 questions. As I am teaching my introductory unit on organic compounds, I assign a portion of these questions for homework each night. This document provides quality homework assignments and ends up being a completed and thorough study guide for the unit test. This worksheet of homework questions and problems was written to go along with my Powerpoint on this same topic: Biochemistry PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
All answers are included in the additional 8 page teacher guide that is included with this product.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is included in my bundled complete unit plan which can be viewed here: Biochemistry Complete Unit Plan Bundle.
The questions are of varying difficulty levels. Question types include:
• Compare and Contrast Terms – 10 questions
• Vocabulary Review Fill in the Blanks – 16 questions
• Short Answer – 37 questions
• Multiple Choice – 6 questions
• Modified True/False – 14 questions
• Organic Compound Matching – 13 questions
• Monomer Identification – 5 questions
• Think About This! – 4 questions
Many of the questions are basic and concrete in nature, but many of the questions involve critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Your download will include both a Word document as well as a pdf of this extensive homework/study guide.
This study guide is appropriate for any biology or life science class with students in grades 8 - 12.
Topics covered include:
• The Nature of Matter: Atoms, subatomic particles, elements, and compounds.
• Chemical Bonds: Ionic bonds, ions, gain and loss of electrons, covalent bonds, polar molecules, polar covalent bonds, nonpolar covalent bonds
• Water! Can’t Live Without It! The polarity of water, hydrogen bonding, cohesion, adhesion, mixtures, types of mixtures, solutions, solute, solvent, suspensions.
• Reasons why life on Earth depends on water.
• Acids, Bases, and pH: The pH scale, acids, bases, and buffers.
• Carbon Compounds: Definition of organic compound, characteristics of carbon, macromolecules, the four groups of organic compounds.
• Carbohydrates: How to recognize the structure of a carbohydrate, monomers of carbs, examples, main function of carbs in cells, monosaccharides, polysaccharides, starch, glycogen, cellulose.
• Lipids: How to recognize the structure of a lipid, examples of lipids, characteristics of lipids, building blocks of lipids, functions of lipids in cells, saturated and unsaturated fats.
• Nucleic Acids: How to recognize the structure, functions of nucleic acids in cells.
• Proteins: How to recognize the structure of a protein, functions of proteins in cells, building blocks of proteins.
• Enzymes: Function of enzymes, characteristics of enzymes, equation for how enzymes work, lock and key hypothesis, active sites
Related Products Include:
Biochemistry Powerpoint and Notes
Organic Compounds Mix/Match Game
Biochemistry Crossword Puzzle
Biology Buzz Words: Biochemistry and The Chemistry of Life
Set of 2 Biochemistry Jeopardy Review Games
Biochemistry Unit Test
Biochemistry Quizzes Set of Two
Testing for Organic Compounds in Foods
Organic Compounds Homework
Lab: Enzymes Common to Both Plants and Animals
Lab: Release of Heat in an Enzymatic Reaction
Lab: How Do Cells Deal with Changes in pH?
Cell Physiology Mega Bundle
For updates and news please follow me at:
My TpT Store
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (aka Science Stuff)