The Chemistry of Biology, Biochemistry, and Organic Compounds
Homework Assignments and Study Guide Worksheets
First it is homework, then it is a study guide. Win-win!
This document is a 10 page student worksheet consisting of 105 questions. As I am teaching my introductory unit on organic compounds, I assign a portion of these questions for homework each night. This document provides quality homework assignments and ends up being a completed and thorough study guide for the unit test.
This worksheet of homework questions and problems was written to go along with my Powerpoint on this same topic, but can successfully be used with any biochemistry unit: Biochemistry PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
All answers are included in the additional 8 page teacher guide that is included with this product.
The questions are of varying difficulty levels. Question types include:
• Compare and Contrast Terms – 10 questions
• Vocabulary Review Fill in the Blanks – 16 questions
• Short Answer – 37 questions
• Multiple Choice – 6 questions
• Modified True/False – 14 questions
• Organic Compound Matching – 13 questions
• Monomer Identification – 5 questions
• Think About This! – 4 questions
Many of the questions are basic and concrete in nature, but many of the questions involve critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Your download will include both a Word document as well as a pdf of this extensive homework/study guide.
This study guide is appropriate for any biology or life science class with students in grades 8 - 12.
Topics covered include:
• The Nature of Matter: Atoms, subatomic particles, elements, and compounds.
• Chemical Bonds: Ionic bonds, ions, gain and loss of electrons, covalent bonds, polar molecules, polar covalent bonds, nonpolar covalent bonds
• Water! Can’t Live Without It! The polarity of water, hydrogen bonding, cohesion, adhesion, mixtures, types of mixtures, solutions, solute, solvent, suspensions.
• Reasons why life on Earth depends on water.
• Acids, Bases, and pH: The pH scale, acids, bases, and buffers.
• Carbon Compounds: Definition of organic compound, characteristics of carbon, macromolecules, the four groups of organic compounds.
• Carbohydrates: How to recognize the structure of a carbohydrate, monomers of carbs, examples, main function of carbs in cells, monosaccharides, polysaccharides, starch, glycogen, cellulose.
• Lipids: How to recognize the structure of a lipid, examples of lipids, characteristics of lipids, building blocks of lipids, functions of lipids in cells, saturated and unsaturated fats.
• Nucleic Acids: How to recognize the structure, functions of nucleic acids in cells.
• Proteins: How to recognize the structure of a protein, functions of proteins in cells, building blocks of proteins.
• Enzymes: Function of enzymes, characteristics of enzymes, equation for how enzymes work, lock and key hypothesis, active sites
Related Products Include:
Biochemistry Powerpoint and Notes
Organic Compounds Mix/Match Game
Biochemistry Crossword Puzzle
Biology Buzz Words: Biochemistry and The Chemistry of Life
Set of 2 Biochemistry Jeopardy Review Games
Biochemistry Unit Test
Biochemistry Quizzes Set of Two
Testing for Organic Compounds in Foods
Organic Compounds Homework
Lab: Enzymes Common to Both Plants and Animals
Lab: Release of Heat in an Enzymatic Reaction
Lab: How Do Cells Deal with Changes in pH?
Cell Physiology Mega Bundle
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store: Amy Brown Science
You can find me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page