Biodiversity is all around is! In this hands-on science unit students will explore local plants, animals, ecosystems, and food chains to discover the biodiversity in their area. Featuring directed lessons, project-based learning, and inquiry projects, a word wall, vocabulary, and complete assessments along the way.
Included in this hands-on unit is…
- Student Title Page
- Teaching Guides - Teaching guide included at the beginning of each section. Includes possible verbal prompts and an outline for student learning.
- Introduction Choose from one of three group (or individual) worksheets to get students thinking about biodiversity
- Directed Lessons Non-fiction reading and comprehension questions to help students build a basic vocabulary and knowledge about the topic. Includes the terms: biodiversity, living, non-living, ecosystem, micro ecosystem, meso ecosystem, biome, energy, producer, consumer, decomposer, food chain, herbivore, carnivore, omnivore
- Small Group (or Center) Work - dive deeper into the concept of food chains, living/non-living things, and animal diets.
- Project Based Learning: Animal Flipbook (2 levels) - Student will create a flipbook about a single local animal in their area. They will synthesize information learned within the unit to show how the animal is connected to plants, animals, and ecosystems around it. PLEASE NOTE: This Animal Project can also be purchased separately HERE. Please check to see if you have already bought this resource.
- Project Based Learning: Biodiversity in my local area - students will research the biodiversity (plants, animals, ecosystems) that can be found in their own back yard!
- Inquiry! - (2 options) students will follow directed inquiry to explore a question relating to landforms. Students may also devise and research their own question.
- Word Wall -Words and definitions of all major vocabulary
- Review Activity: Mixed Up Puzzles Students will match words and definitions as part of pre-test review.
- Assessments - A unit-end quiz, rubrics to mark each project and inquiry, and a complete answer key.
Aligned to the British Columbia, BC Big Ideas. Ontario Big Ideas, and NGSS