Biography Choice Boards and Cards - Four biography choice boards and forty biography choice cards engage your students in practicing skills from the Common Core State Standards and
using higher order thinking skills. This product can be used with any biography: picture book or chapter book, read-aloud or independently. You may pick and choose activities, ask students to complete activities for specific cards, or allow them to choose their own activities using the tic-tac-toe menus.
• 40 Biography Choice Cards – You will receive ten sheets of choice cards. Each sheet corresponds to one of nine Reading: Informational Text standards for Grades 3-5 and contains four choice cards. Each of the four cards asks students to employ a different level of Bloom’s Taxonomy: Applying, Analyzing, Evaluating, and Creating.
• 3 Graphic Organizers – A response cube, cartoon strip, and speech/thought bubble sheet support activities on the cards and boards.
• 2 Biography Choice Boards – Each of these learning menus feature sixteen activities that emphasize writing. This alternative allows you to present 32 of the best activities on one back-to-back sheet.
• 2 “Crafty” Biography Choice Boards – If you want something a bit more creative, try these choice boards! Each square asks students to create a hands-on project.
• Student Contracts and Related Assessment Sheet – Student selects and circles tasks for each assigned standard. The related assessment sheet allows teacher to score each task based on accuracy, knowledge of standard, and independence.
How can these boards and cards be used?
• Differentiation is effortless as children select books at independent reading levels.
• The cards (or choice boards) can be used with your entire class, in small groups, or by individual children. Because the activities feature higher order thinking skills, they work especially well with high ability (gifted and talented) learners. They have been specially designed to launch independent learning projects or provide activities for early finishers.
• You may decide to use only one or two sheets to emphasize specific standards, several or all cards for just one level of Bloom’s Taxonomy, mix and match, or allow students to mix and match.
• The same is true for using choice boards. Requiring students to complete an activity for at least one standard in each column ensures that they practice each standard and each higher order thinking skill.
• It’s not necessary to use these activities as choice cards or boards. They also provide powerful stand-alone classroom questions and projects, as well as great anchor activities.
Click on PREVIEW to take a look at the entire product.
Would you like to be notified as more activities are published? Just click on Follow Me.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
Common Core State Standards for Third Grade: CCSS RI.3.1, RI.3.2, RI.3.3, RI.3.4, RI.3.5, RI.3.6, RI.3.7, RI.3.8, RI.3.9
Common Core State Standards for Fourth Grade: CCSS RI.4.1, RI.4.2, RI.4.3, RI.4.4, RI.4.5, RI.4.6, RI.4.7, RI.4.8, RI.4.9
Common Core State Standards for Fifth Grade: CCSS RI.5.1, RI.5.2, RI.5.3, RI.5.4, RI.5.5, RI.5.6, RI.5.7, RI.5.8, RI.5.9
Levels of Bloom's Taxonomy: Applying, Analyzing, Evaluating, Creating