Biography Folder Report & Web Site Use - Biography Project - Print AND Digital
- Internet Activities
What educators are saying
Everything you need to teach biography research and writing is included for your third, fourth and fifth grade students. Students will beg to work on their biography reports and biography projects when they "become " the famous biography person during this 6-week power-packed lap book project in print and digital format with scoring rubrics included.
Biography Website Access to 125+ Famous People Included ($7 value)
Each famous person's webpage has 12-16 website links.
I also give you password protected website access to 125+ famous people web pages created just for this project of famous men and women to help keep students in a more protected Internet environment using my web links. This is the perfect independent biography project for classroom or distance learning.
- Read a novel at their reading level (you choose and approve of the novel)
- Research their famous person using Internet sites (web link collection & password provided as a courtesy for your students to use)
- Take notes on the note taking sheets
- Write a rough draft on the rough draft sheets
- Keep and write a bibliography of sources used (using the proper format)
- Write a final copy biography research report including bibliography using the final copy paper included
- Draw a sketch of the famous person
- Create a timeline
- Write an important poem
- Assemble their file folder report into lap book format
- OPTIONAL SPEECH:
- Dressed as their person, students will give a speech at the culmination event, a biography wax museum.
WHAT IS INCLUDED: PRINT & DIGITAL Format
- DIGITAL-Ready PowerPoint Presentations: You may upload the special PowerPoint versions to your Google Drive™ and save as Google Slides™ through Google Classroom™. Pre-placed shaded text boxes are ready for students to type into.
- Digital Format: Student directions, note taking sheets, rough draft copy with space for editing, timeline rough draft and final copy slides, important poem rough draft and final copy pages, bibliography rough draft pages
- Digital Format: Final copy slide options in 9 different colors. Giving students CHOICE motivates them to get to the final copy stage and complete their project
- Teacher Directions Packet - with detailed ideas, lesson plans, weekly pacing guide, famous person sign up sheets, biography scoring rubric, speech scoring rubric, parent invitations, CCSS correlations and more
- All Student Handouts
- Table of Contents
- Student Materials Packet Cover
- Detailed Directions for Students
- Biography Note Taking Paper
- Rough Draft Writing Paper
- Final Copy Report Paper with Lines & Without
- Bibliography Format Examples
- Autobiography & Biography Genre Posters
- Drawing and Math Lesson to Accompany the Character Sketch
- Character Sketch Final Copy Paper
- Important Poem Rough Draft
- Biography Timeline Rough Draft
- Scoring Guide for Speaking
- Scoring Guide for Report
- Alternate Report Scoring Guide
- Speech Sign-Up Schedule – 5 day format & 3 days AM/PM format
- Famous Person Sign Up Sheets
- Teacher Notes & Hints
- Teacher Notes Pacing Guide
- Optional Biography Museum Speaking Task Parent Letter
- Optional Biography Museum Speaking Task Name tags
- Common Core Reading, Writing & Speaking Correlations Gr.3-5
- Student Character Sketch Examples
- Student Timeline Examples
- Student Important Poem Examples
- Website Link and Password - for access to my Online Biography Project Collection with web links for each person You are not buying this! I am allowing you to use the links with your students.
>> View the 19-page preview to see some of the unit pages! <<
Internet Website Link Collection Included:
I created a website collection of 125+ web pages of famous men and women designed especially for this project to help keep students in a more protected Internet environment using my web links. See my biography unit website links HERE. The password is included in your purchase.
MS Word Editable, PDF and PowerPoint Google Drive Ready Formats Included: There are 208 pages of materials included in this ready to use complete unit.
WEB PAGES ACCESS FOR 74 MEN:
Bell, Alexander Graham
Carver, George Washington
Clemens, Samuel (Mark Twain)
Drew, Dr. Charles
Fibonacci, Leonardo Pisano
Grant, Ulysses S.
Kennedy, John F.
King, Jr., Martin Luther
McLoughlin, Dr. John
Morgan, Garrett A.
Newton, Sir Isaac
Roosevelt, Franklin D.
Roosevelt, Theodore "Teddy"
Wright, Orville & Wilbur Wright
WEB PAGE ACCESS FOR 49 WOMEN
Anthony, Susan B.
Joan of Arc
Mary Queen of Scots
O’Connor, Sandra Day
Queen Elizabeth I
Queen Elizabeth II
Spencer, Diana (Princess Diana)
Stanton, Elizabeth Cady
Stowe, Harriet Beecher
Wilder, Laura Ingalls
3rd Grade Writing Standards:
CCSS W.3.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
CCSS W.3.4 With guidance and support from adults, produce writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task and purpose.
CCSS W.3.7 Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
CCSS W.3.10 Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
4th Grade Standards:
CCSS W.4.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
CCSS W.4.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS W.4.7 Conduct short research projects that build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic.
CCSS W.4.10 Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
5th Grade Standards:
CCSS W.5.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
CCSS W.5.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS W.5.7 Conduct short research projects that use several sources to build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic.
CCSS W.5.10 Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
Biography Website Link Use: As a courtesy, I am allowing you to access to my biography collection on my website to help your students with their Internet research. In your purchase, you will receive the link to my biography web site collection made especially for this project with 3rd, 4th & 5th graders in mind. Purchasers have permission to access my biography project web site collection and may add a link to my biography web page collection. Purchasers MAY NOT post the password in this purchase on a web page, Google Classroom, or online anywhere it is visible via the Internet. You may not share the link with others. Mrs. Renz Class reserves the right to change or remove web pages at any time without notice. Please notify me immediately if you see pages with broken or misdirected links and I'll fix them within a few hours.
You can reach some of the Common Core Standards for grades 3, 4 and 5 with this project. (see the top of the page for the list)
DISTANCE LEARNING NOTE: You have permission to use these digital products with your students PROVIDED YOU USE THE MATERIALS BEHIND A SECURED OR PASSWORD PROTECTED SITE and materials are NOT posted directly to the Internet for others to view. You may NOT use to any materials created by Mrs. Renz' Class in any for-profit online classes or courses.
You Might Like these EDITABLE Personal ELA Reference Helpers: