Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Designed with third and fourth graders in mind, this biographies resource includes materials for students to use while conducting research, as well as materials for the presentation of their final writing piece, in a Biography Lapbook.
To complete this project, students:
• read biographies,
• use a graphic organizer as a prewriting tool to organize their writing,
• write informative text in five paragraphs, including an introduction paragraph, three body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph, and
• create a lapbook as their final product, showcasing their research notes as well as their final written piece.
This could easily be adapted for use in lower grades, or with less able writers, where the expectation is a single informative paragraph. (You'll find reviews below from fellow teachers who have used this resource for all grades, from first through high school!)
Students' research AND their final writing piece are creatively presented in a lapbook, with several options for assembly. Photos and clear directions are included.
Take a peek at the preview for a closer look at this product!
Popular Lapbook Resources for Structured Writing:
• simple, clear directions for lap book assembly
• photos of sample finished product
• templates for all cutouts and foldables:
- Cover pages: title, drawing, character traits
- Foldable with flaps: Early Life, Adulthood, Notable Achievements
- Foldable with flaps: Character Traits and Evidence from the Text
- Foldable with flap: Questions I Would Like to Ask
- Cutout: About the Researcher
- Cutout: Obstacles
- Cutout: Influences
- Cutout: A Quote from _______
- Cutout: Books I Used for My Research
- Foldable with flaps: A Timeline of _____'s Life
• graphic organizer for 5-paragraph informative writing with prompts for biographical information
• lined pages with title for finished writing piece
Several Common Core Standards can be addressed with this project, including:
Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Introduce a topic and group related information together; include illustrations when useful to aiding comprehension.
Develop the topic with facts, definitions, and details.
Provide a concluding statement or section.
Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
Though reading standards are not specifically addressed in this project, the opportunity exists to address several Common Core Reading: Informational Text >> Grade 3 standards.
You may also be interested in these Grade 3 CCSS-aligned math products:
To earn TPT credits to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. You can check your credit balance in your TpT Credit Balance page. Every 100 Credits is worth $5 that you can apply towards future TpT purchases in my store, or any TpT store. I value and appreciate your feedback!
Be the first to know about my new products, discounts, and freebies:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You’ll receive customized email updates about this store, and be the first to know when new products are added.