Everything you need to teach biography research and writing is included! Begin instruction by examining and discussing the included biography mentor text. Next, guide your students through the research process using the comprehensive biography research template. Finally, it's time for students to write their biographies! Differentiated writing resources designed to meet the needs of all levels of learners and scaffold instruction are included.
This resource can be completed on paper or online with laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, or any device that supports Google Drive. The included Teacher's Guide includes access to the link that will allow you to make your own copy of the resource for use in Google Classroom/Google Drive.
INCLUDED WITH YOUR PURCHASE:
● Mentor Text: Begin your writing unit with the included mentor text. Mentor texts are pieces of writing that students can return to and reread for different purposes. They are texts that can be studied and imitated. The included mentor text is an excerpt from the book Home of the Brave: 15 Immigrants Who Shaped U.S. History. The excerpt is a short biography on the life and legacy of John Muir.
● Mentor Text Discussion Questions: After reading through the John Muir biography together as a class, use the mentor text discussion questions to analyze the major components of a biography.
● Biography Research Guide: Completing the biography research guide is the first step in the biographical writing process. It will help students remain focused and on task.
Cover Page: The cover page reviews the meaning of the term biography and requires students to think critically about who they will
research and why.
Things To Keep In Mind: This page reviews important details and things to keep in mind during the research and writing process. It also
includes space for students to record due dates.
Bibliography: A bibliography template with space to record source information is included for students to utilize while researching.
Research Guide: A comprehensive research guide is provided for students to fill in while researching. It includes space to record all
of the information needed for crafting a successful biography.
● Editing Checklist: The editing checklist can be used for peer or independent editing. It requires students to check for essay content, structure, grammar, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling.
● Biography Outline: The outline breaks down each paragraph and provides students with a clear step-by-step process for composing their biography.
● Essay Template: An essay template is included for struggling writers or use in the lower grade levels. It can also be used as a whole-class activity before independent writing begins.
● Grading Rubric: The rubric covers all of the necessary biographical components. Reviewing the rubric before starting the research and writing process will give students a clear understanding of the report expectations.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN:
Want a FREE resource each month? Click on the green star to follow Literacy in Focus, and you will be sent the monthly freebie!
©Literacy In Focus