This 25 page workshop-style biography unit allows you to use books from your classroom and school libraries to let your students choose their own biographies at their own reading level. It is easily adaptable to your unique students’ needs.
As they read their biographies for the first 20 minutes of class each day, students will work on skills such as: characteristics of the genre, predicting, determining key ideas, symbolism, generating questions, and making personal connections.
After the 20 minute reading time, there is a short, 10 minute, mini-lesson followed by the workshop time. The calendar suggests what the teacher will model in the mini-lesson and what the students will produce during workshop time each day. At home, students will read for 30 more minutes and complete the Bookmark question.
2 assessments are provided: 1 is a Biography Bag Book Report, and the other is a writing assignment about setting and achieving goals.
Here’s what’s included in the unit:
● Calendar of daily mini-lesson and workshop activity
● List of characteristics of the biography genre
● 2 Timelines ( rough draft and final copy)
● 6 symbol cards
● 6 squares to explain the meaning of each symbol
● Illustration page
● Grading rubric
● 2 Presentations Response Sheets
● 2 Connected Poetry Analysis Activities
● Dream Flow Map Pre-Write with Completed Sample
● Homework Bookmarks for each night
● Conferencing toolkit for each day