• My students always struggle with learning how to use Hardy Weinberg Equations. I developed this double sided worksheet that we go through to go over basic terminology, review Punnett squares, and then have a step-by-step model to go through for each problem.
• The procedure helps students see how the Hardy Weinberg variables relate to alleles and genotypes.
• The procedure starts students out with the recessive phenotype, (aa or q2). From that number, students can use the Hardy Weinberg equations to find all the other variables.
• My students really did well with the structure of this assignment and it seemed to help them be able to use Hardy Weinberg equations when reading word problems from the textbooks and tests.
• I’ve used this activity with high school science classes including: Biology, Zoology, and Genetics.
This is a 3 page file that includes the above teaching note, and 2 pages of student worksheet in a Word file.