resource provides materials for students to create an Biomes Lapbook
Designed with third through sixth graders in mind, this BIOMES resource includes materials for students to use while conducting research on biomes using informational texts, as well as materials for the presentation of their final writing piece, in an Biomes Lapbook.
To complete this biomes project, students:
• read nonfiction texts,
• use a graphic organizer as a prewriting tool to organize their writing,
• write informative text in five paragraphs, including an introduction paragraph, three body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph, and
• create a biomes lapbook as their final product, showcasing their research notes as well as their final written piece.
This could easily be adapted for use in lower grades, or with less able writers, where the expectation is a single informative paragraph.
Their research AND their final writing piece is creatively presented in a lapbook, with several options for assembly. Photos and clear directions are included.
If you’re one of the hundreds who made the BIOGRAPHY LAPBOOK
a best-selling item, you’ll love this one, too!
Popular Lapbook Resources for Structured Writing:
STATE REPORTS Lapbook
HUMAN BODY Lapbook
ALL ABOUT ME Lapbook
END OF THE YEAR Lapbook
• simple, clear directions for lapbook assembly
• photos of sample finished product
• templates for all cutouts and foldables:
- Cover pages: title, map, & drawing
- Foldable with flaps: Location, Geography, & Climate; Plants & Animals; and Interesting Facts
- Mini Flip Booklets for each of 7 Biomes: Arctic Tundra, Rainforest, Temperate Forest, Savanna, Desert, Ocean, Freshwater Biome
- Foldable with flap: Questions I Have About the _______
- Cutout: About the Researcher
- Cutout: Why I'd Love to Visit the _______
- Cutout: A Description of the Biome
- Cutout: Wow! You Won't BELIEVE This!
- Cutout: Resources I Used for My Research
• graphic organizer for 5-paragraph informative writing with prompts for each paragraph, tailored for a biome report
• lined pages with title for finished writing piece
Several Common Core Standards can be addressed with this project, including:
Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Introduce a topic and group related information together; include illustrations when useful to aiding comprehension.
Develop the topic with facts, definitions, and details.
Provide a concluding statement or section.
Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
Though reading standards are not specifically addressed in this project, the opportunity exists to address several Common Core Reading: Informational Text >> Grade 3
You may also be interested in these Grade 3 CCSS-aligned math products:
Fractions Print & Go Pack: The Grade 3 BUNDLE
Multiplication Print & Go Pack
Christmas Math: Grade 3 Pack
Merry, Merry Multiplication
Thanksgiving Math: Grade 3 Pack
Geometry Game: "I Have...Who Has...?"
Beat the Clock: Math Fact Practice Bundle
To earn TPT credits to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. You can check your credit balance in your TpT Credit Balance
page. Every 100 Credits is worth $5 that you can apply towards future TpT purchases in my store, or any TpT store. I value and appreciate your feedback!
Be the first to know about my new products, discounts, and freebies:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower.
You’ll receive customized email updates about this store, and be the first to know when new products are added.