Students will dive into the engineering design process with this hands-on STEM challenge building a nest to safely catch a falling egg. A follow-up activity teaches biomimicry by relating what was learned in building a bird nest and applying it to designing a landing pad for a space capsule. As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. You will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their nests in their teams.Complete teacher instructions and student handouts make this project simple to incorporate STEM into your classroom or program.
This packet includes:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Student recording sheets for each step of the process
- Biomimicry student handout
- Project reflection questions
- Math connection problems including graphing, ratios/ fractions, measurements, perimeter, and area (applicable sheets in both SI and metric units).
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about new discounts, freebies and product launches!
Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.
Check Out Our Related Products!
• STEM Lunar Crater Challenge
• Science & Engineering Careers BINGO Game
• Math and Sports STEM Activities/Project: Ratios and Proportions
• STEM Space Lander Challenge