Birthday Data Representations
Great for the beginning of school!
To help students gather data and represent the data in multiple ways as an equation, line plot, and scatterplot and help students analyze the data gathered.
Copy and staple the three student worksheets.
If any one month has more than 6 birthdays in it, students can extend the table and line plot.
1. Students will gather birthday data of their classmates.
2. Students will use the birthday data to write a fractional equation to represent all the birthdays in the class.
3. Students will use the birthday data to create a line plot with fractional units.
4. Students will create paired data to graph on a scatterplot.
5. Students will use the data to solve problems.
(9) Data analysis. The student applies mathematical process standards to solve problems by collecting, organizing, displaying, and interpreting data. The student is expected to
(A) represent…numerical data, including data sets of measurements in…with dot plots…
(B) represent discrete paired data on a scatterplot; and
(C) solve one- and two-step problems using data from a frequency table, dot plot, bar graph, stem-and-leaf plot, or scatterplot.
5.MD.2 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit (1/2, 1/4, 1/8). Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions by using information
This activity contains 4 non-student pages
(cover sheet, instructions, TpT info and credits).