Black Codes. Radical Republicans. Reconstruction.
Lesson 3 of the Reconstruction Unit: **CAN BE ALTERED!** Black Codes & Radical Republicans
This engaging and visually appealing 35-slide PowerPoint presentation is easy to understand with content illustrated with charts and pictures.
Overarching Question for this presentation (Thinking Focus Question):
Why did Congress try to remove President Johnson from office?
This PowerPoint presentation examines:
- Black Codes and their effects on African Americans living in the South
- Radical Republican’s response to the South passing Black Codes
- President Johnson’s political reaction to the South’s oppression of African Americans
- The main Reconstruction goals of Radical Republicans
- The 1866, Civil Rights Act passed by Congress and Johnson’s veto
- A quick review of the Dred Scott case and its effect on the passage of the 14th Amendment
- The importance of the Congressional elections of 1866
- The 1867 First Reconstruction Act passed by Congress
- The reasons Congress brought impeachment charges against Johnson
- Johnson’s view of states’ rights and his reasoning for allowing Southern states to make their own laws about citizenship and suffrage.
- The outcome of Johnson’s impeachment trial.
Key words include:
Civil Rights Act
Joint Committee on Reconstruction
First Reconstruction Act
This PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer is part of the unit: Reconstruction. This unit can be downloaded in its entirety saving you substantially what it would cost you to buy each PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer separately. Each lesson comes with a visually appealing PowerPoint presentation (and pdf version) and three graphic organizer notebook pages – separate answer key included!
Here are other lessons in this unit you may be interested in:
Lesson 1: The Freedmen's Bureau
Lesson 2: Lincoln's Assassination & Thirteenth Amendment
Lesson 3: Black Codes and Radical Republicans
Lesson 4: Carpetbaggers and Scalawags
Lesson 5: Segregation and the New South
Be sure to follow my store by clicking on the GREEN STAR next to my ZoopDog picture to receive notifications of new products. Thanks for stopping by my store!
- This product may NOT be copied and distributed outside of the scope of your classroom.
- This product may NOT be uploaded to the Internet or stored in a public retrieval system outside of the scope of the project itself (ex. your district website, slideshare.com, wikispaces.com, slideguru.com, your own personal website, etc.
- You may store this on your teacher website only if it is password protected.
- The slides included in this resource may not be used to create something new, and or distributed in any way without written consent from the author.