This Black History project is based on the NEW book called 28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World, by Charles R. Smith Jr. and is designed as a newspaper article project for your students. This activity is NO PREP and ready to use when you click print (it is best, however, if you have a copy of 28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World by Charles R. Smith Jr.). This project is appropriate for 2nd-6th grade.
28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World is a striking picture book that includes 28 pivotal people (and their most pivotal moments by date) in Black History. This literature unit is designed so that students are each assigned one newspaper article (each template has the name of a person and a date that corresponds to one date in the book) and can complete the project at home. There is a parent letter included in case you choose this route. Students can also complete this project at school.
Note: There are six extra templates that DO NOT have a name or date printed on them just in case you'd like to add your own famous person in Black History. An optional back side for each newspaper style is also included.
This Black History Literature activity product includes the following:
- Teacher Tips/Ideas page
- Letter to parents if you choose to use this as a home research project (students do NOT need to have a copy of the book at home, but should have access to a computer or other way to research their important person)
- KWL chart for Black History (use this before students begin working on their newspaper articles)
- Table of Contents (for the 28 moments mentioned in the book)
- COVER for a classroom book (if you choose to compile all the articles at the end of the project)
- 28 templates for newspaper articles (NOTE: Each template DOES include the name and date of a significant person mentioned in the book.)
- 6 ADDITIONAL templates that DO NOT include any names or dates (use these in the event that you want to add events and/or people that are significant in Black History)
Please look at the preview for a sample of the pages in this product. If you have any questions, please ask prior to purchasing. I will get back with you quickly! :-)
If you are interested in 28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World, you might also be interested in other Literature Units. Check these out my other literature units:
Sign up for access to my EXCLUSIVE FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY AND NEWSLETTER.
For updates on new products and product specials, follow me:
MY TPT STORE
Kirsten has 18 years of experience in elementary education. She has been a homeroom teacher for first grade, third grade, and fourth grade, as well as ESL. She has also been a school counselor for grades PK-6, an ESL pullout teacher for K-6, and a Reading Recovery Teacher. She received her Bachelor’s degree in elementary education and psychology from The University of Iowa and a Master’s of Education in school counseling from Sam Houston State University. She believes that students make the most progress when they are engaged in their hearts as well as their minds. Her resources offer relevant, rigorous, engaging content that nurtures the whole child.
Copyright © Kirsten’s Kaboodle. All Rights Reserved.
• Purchasing this product gives the purchaser ONE LICENSE to this product. This allows the purchaser the right to reproduce this product for HIS/HER class ONLY.
• Duplication for an entire team, school, or school district is strictly forbidden.
• If other teachers would like copies of this product, please direct them to my store.
• You may not reproduce, redistribute, or post this item on a blog or website for download (free or paid).
• Copying any part of this product (even for a classroom website) is also in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
• You may not modify, copy, or alter this product in any way.
• Please feel free to spread the word about this product via social media or blog post. A link to the product (or my store) is much appreciated.