How much do your middle schoolers actually know about Black History? Black History Month activities are a great way to begin introducing students to influential African Americans, especially in the world of athletics! People of Color have made incredible contributions in the sporting world and in society! Help your students broaden their understanding of Black History by going beyond the handful of traditionally studied figures and discovering the story of remarkable athletes with these biographies!
- Alice Coachman - Olympic Track and Field Star
- Cheryl Miller - Legendary Basketball Player and Coach
- Debi Thomas - Pioneering Figure Skater
- Jackie Robinson - Barrier-breaking Baseball Legend
- Jesse Owen - Incredible Olympic Sprinter
- Joe Louis - Champion Boxer
- Wilma Rudolph - Record-setting Olympic Track Star
This PDF resource includes a two-page informational biographical article on each athlete, comprehension activities, worksheets, graphic organizers, and more! Multiple activities are included to give teachers and students options!
- A Two-page Informational Biographical Article on each athlete.
- A Comprehension Crossword Puzzle for each athlete.
- : Informational Text Reading Strategy Slides Presentation!
- Partner Discussion Guide with Discussion Questions.
- Biographical Timeline Comprehension Activity.
- Four-Part Summary Comprehension Activity.
- Post-Reading Reflection Graphic Organizer.
- Answer Key.
- Teacher Guidelines & Instructions.
- Detailed Lesson Outline.
- Reading Informational & Nonfiction Texts
- 16 Informational Text Reading Strategies (before, during & after reading)
- Informational Text Features
- Class Discussions
- Finding the Main Idea
- Comprehension Assessment
- Reading Fluency Practice
Learn about even more brilliant People of Color in the world of STEM including George Washington Carver, Benjamin Banneker, Marie Maynard Daly, Mae Jemison, Charles Richard Drew, Alan Emtage, and Katherine Johnson!
Searching for more Black History Month Activities? This Black History Month Research Project is a great way to teach students research skills and help them learn about influential People of Color! This resource includes everything you need to walk your students step-by-step through the research, writing, and publishing process! Over 120 Instructional Slides are included along with 140+ names of influential Black individuals--including many women!
Did you know that TpT gives you credits towards future purchases when you leave feedback? Your feedback is so important to me as I try to provide the best products possible! Please go to your "My Purchases" page (you may need to log in). Next to each purchase, you'll see a "Provide Feedback" button. Simply click on the button and it will take you to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment. Thank you so much for providing valuable feedback!
Click on the "Follow Me" button on my store page to see all my latest products and updates!
Follow me on Instagram @mrs.nelson.teaches.
Follow me on Pinterest! Brenna Nelson