Study four heroes of the civil rights movement for Black History Month. These biography research activities include printable or digital texts and organizers for Martin Luther King, Jr., Ruby Bridges, Rosa Parks, and Jackie Robinson and will guide students through a brochure writing project for each historical figure.
Option 1 Lesson Plan Activities: Students research one civil rights hero in an "expert group," take notes, and create a group poster project (hands on or digital) to share their information with the class. During presentations, classmates take notes to become familiar with all four civil right heroes.
Option 2 Lesson Plan Activities: Using clues from life event timeline cards, students discover that they will be studying about Martin Luther King, Jr. They participate in several reading, research, discussion, and note-taking sessions to complete a culminating trifold brochure writing project about his life. Using the same research process, students are ready to independently study another individual from the Civil Rights Movement. (Ruby Bridges, Rosa Parks or Jackie Robinson).
Perfect for Martin Luther King Jr. Day in January and Black History Month in February!
This resource is compatible with Google Slides and is printable. Just click on the included link and assign to students digitally or provide as printable pages.
This resource includes:
* Individual printable or digital texts- Martin Luther King, Jr., Ruby Bridges, Rosa Parks, and Jackie Robinson
* Note taking sheets (print or digital)
* Life event timeline cards for Martin Luther King, Jr. (digital includes moveable pieces)
* Trifold brochure writing project printable template or digital writing response template
* Fully detailed lesson plans
* Poster presentation rubrics (digital includes moveable pieces)
* Printable pictures for poster-making activity (digital includes moveable images)
You will also receive the digital resources:
- Link to the activities above, digitally created in Google Slides
- Access to a video tutorial for assigning through Google Slides
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our website!