In this Black History Month resource, there is an informational reading passage based on 25 different famous African American leaders, influential individuals and other topics relevant to Civil Rights and African American history. If your classroom is like mine, there are readers all over the spectrum, yet it is vital that all students understand these important concepts. I've created each passage on three different reading levels to make differentiation much easier!
•Differences Between the North & the South
•John Brown’s Raid
•Harriet Beecher Stowe
•Civil Rights (general)
•George Washington Carver
•Nat Love & The Black Cowboys of Texas
•Martin Luther King, Jr.
•Assassinations of the 1960s
•Lyndon B. Johnson
•John F. Kennedy
•Mary McLeod Bethune
•Booker T. Washington
When new passages are written that would apply to this bundle, they will be added as a bonus for you!
$Why should I purchase this passage set?$
• Textbooks aren't what they used to be...if we have them at all. Often textbooks are written well above grade level and simply aren't interested. I use my love of history to make passages engaging and informative for all levels of readers!
• Teach across the curriculum! Show your administration how you integrate and differentiate by implementing during guided reading groups, center time, or in a regular social studies block
• Perfect for last minute print & go sub plans, morning work, & homework
• In my own classroom, they are often used at the end of a unit for review, as study guides, and even test prep
• Have students with accommodations? Instantly assess them at THEIR LEVEL while meeting IEP goals!
How Does This Resource Make Me A Better Teacher?
• Your time is precious & the standards are plentiful
By integrating across content whenever possible, you save time and your students see connections across the curriculum!
• Differentiated Instruction is no longer optional-it is a must!
There is no one-size-fits-all classroom. These passages are an easy way to check that off of your never-ending teacher to-do list!
• Reach your entire class with the same quality content.
Each student in your class deserves a fair chance at the content. Let their passion for science and social studies thrive, regardless of their reading ability. While passages appear very similar, I can assure you hours of researching and writing have occurred on my behalf to ensure that each level is appropriate for your learners.
You may also like Black History Month Crossword Puzzle!
Check out my Mary McLeod Bethune Reading Passages for FREE!
Mary McLeod Bethune Language Arts Review
Mary McLeod Bethune Character Traits
Martin Luther King, Jr. Passages
Check out my Fourth Grade Reading Passages for the Year!
You may be interested in BLACK HISTORY MONTH DIFFERENTIATED READING PASSAGES
You may be interested in American Presidents Differentiated Reading Passages
View my Government Paired Passages
Don't Miss My Newest Products!
Have a question? Click here to send me an email!
Let's stay in touch!
→Check out our website for teaching tips, ideas, & freebies!
→Subscribe to videos on Youtube
→Follow us on Instagram
→Follow us on Facebook
Thanks for your support & Happy Teaching!-Bowtie Guy & Wife
© 2016 Bowtie Guy This purchase is for you and your classroom. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy. If you are a school or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.