Products in this Bundle (5)
This Black History Month, celebrate with the inspirational words of incredible African Americans from the worlds of sports, science, writing, activism, and the arts! With 130 posters in total, you can choose your favorites or use them all. Black History is American History so let's make Black History Month a year-round thing!
Each poster includes:
- an inspirational quote from an accomplished Black American scientist, athlete, author, artist, or activist
- the name of the scientist, athlete, author, activist, or artist and the years they lived (many are still alive)
- a brief (one to two line) description of their role or achievements in their chosen field
This money-saving bundle includes all the fantastic quotes found in these sets:
The scientists featured include:
Lewis Howard Latimer, Granville Woods, George Washington Carver, Garrett Morgan, Percy Lavon Julian, Charles Drew, Walter Lincoln Hawkins, Katherine Johnson, Marie Maynard Daly, Evelyn Boyd Granville, Yvonne Young Clark, James E. West, Annie Easley, Jerry Lawson, Patricia Bath, Shirley Ann Jackson, Lonnie Johnson, Mae Jemison, Mark Dean, Mamie Parker, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Aprille Ericsson-Jackson, Pamela McCauley, Leland Melvin, Jeanette Epps, and Ayanna Howard
The artists featured include:
Mary Edmonia Lewis, Palmer Hayden, Alma Woodsey Thomas, Augusta Savage, Aaron Douglas, Beauford Delaney, Lois Mailou Jones, Norman Lewis, Romare Bearden, Gordon Parks, Felrath Hines, Jacob Lawrence, Roy DeCarava, John Biggers, Betye Saar, Faith Ringgold, Floyd Norman, Howardena Pindell, Senga Nengudi, Carrie Mae Weems, Renée Stout, Lorna Simpson, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Kara Walker, Amy Sherald, and Kehinde Wiley
The athletes featured include:
Jack Johnson, Marshall “Major” Taylor, Frederick “Fritz” Pollard, Satchel Paige, Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Charlie Sifford, Althea Gibson, Bill Russell, Wilma Rudolph, Muhammad Ali, Arthur Ashe, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Lynette Woodward, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Michael Jordan, Bonnie St. John, Florence Griffith Joyner, Debi Thomas, Sheryl Swoopes, Dominique Dawes, Serena Williams, Dartanyon Crockett, Gabby Douglas, Simone Manuel, and Simone Biles
The authors featured include:
Frederick Douglass, Frances Harper, W.E.B. Du Bois, Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, Countee Cullen, Richard Wright, Ralph Ellison, Wendolyn Brooks, James Baldwin, Maya Angelou, Lorraine Hansberry, Toni Morrison, Audre Lorde, Amiri Baraka, Lucille Clifton, Nikki Giovanni, Alice Walker, August Wilson, Yusef Komunyakaa, Octavia Butler, Gloria Naylor, James McBride, Dwayne McDuffie, Rita Dove, and Jacqueline Woodson
The activists featured include:
Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, Booker T. Washington, Ida B. Wells, W.E.B. Du Bois, Mary McLeod Bethune, Carter Woodson, Paul Robeson, Ella Baker, Josephine Baker, Thurgood Marshall, Bayard Rustin, Dorothy Height, Rosa Parks, James Baldwin, Shirley Chisholm, Malcolm X, Medgar Evers, Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King, Jr., Nina Simone, John Lewis, Jesse Jackson, Angela Davis, and Alicia Garza
Ideas on how to use these Inspirational Quotes Posters:
- Pick your favorites and use them to make a bulletin board to celebrate Black History Month
- Display a new quote on your board each day of Black History Month (or one to two quotes each week throughout the school year) for students to see as they walk into class
- Print them and make a border around your classroom or chalkboard
- Display them in random places around your classroom or school and allow your students to discover them (you could even turn this into a scavenger hunt)
- Use the athletes posters to decorate the locker room and inspire your student athletes
- Use the artists posters as a source of inspiration for your students to draw on as they create their own works of art (they could even embed the quotes directly into the final pieces themselves in a collage or mixed media piece)
- Use the scientists posters to decorate a lab space and inspire your student scientists
- Use the activists posters to inspire your students to support their own causes
- Have your students use the authors posters as the basis for a creative writing assignment or a position paper on whether they agree with the writer’s perspective
- Let your students pick one of the featured individuals to research in more depth as an extra credit or enrichment assignment
- Have each student find out more about one of the artists, athletes, or scientists and share what they learned as you present the corresponding quote
Please note: You may have noticed that some individuals are listed more than once. While they are highlighted in more than one set of posters, their quotes do not repeat. You’ll get a brand-new, inspiring quote for each set in which they are included!
I know that you’re going to love what these posters bring to your classroom!
- The posters will come as a PDF file that you can print or display on a screen.
- Each poster fits on one page of the PDF and each page is 8.5 inches by 11 inches (standard printer paper size).
- If you want to display them on a screen using a projector (with your SMART Board or Promethean Board for example), just open the file in Adobe and select “View” and then “Full Screen Mode”. From there, use the arrows on your keyboard (or the screen) to advance the slides. I’ve included a link to the Adobe page of directions detailing how to do this in the file as well.
- Printers vary so you may need to play around a bit with the printer settings to get the finished look you prefer. I recommend only printing one poster at a time when you first try it out so you can see how it looks and make sure it is what you want before you print the rest. I’ve also included some additional printing tips in the file.
CLICK HERE to follow Impossible Things Learning and be notified when I add new items to my store!