Also included in
- Get your students writing their own poetry with these Poetry Writing Activities! These no-prep Poetry Writing Activities are easy enough to implement with high school students of any skill level but provide opportunities for advanced students to challenge themselves. Each activity includes a suggest$11.58$14.47Save $2.89
- Take the stress out of planning a Creative Writing class with this complete, 9-week elective course bundle! This Complete Creative Writing Class Bundle includes everything you need to teach creative writing skills, poetry analysis, and engage students in a variety of writing!In this engaging 9-week$74.58$93.23Save $18.65
Add some fun to your creative writing unit or provide enrichment options for excelling students with black out and found poems. These classic poem types are more hands-on than traditional pen-on-paper writing, making them a great way to bust up boring classroom routines!
Black out and found poetry are highly flexible activities. These can be "filler" activities for half-days or can take days to finish. I usually give my students one day for each poem type plus a day to make sure both are finished. Then, I hang all of them up in the hallway for an easy, beautiful display of student work.
The great thing about black out and found poetry activities is that they can "shrunk down" or "stretched out" to suit your time needs! Keep these on hand for weeks before breaks or during testing!
- PowerPoint Slideshow (step-by-step directions with examples)
- Suggested Lesson Plan
- Student handout with directions (so you don't have to repeat yourself!)
The whole resource is available to view in the preview, so be sure to check it out and make sure that this activity is a good fit for you and your students!
- "I Am" Poem for High School FREEBIE
- Haiku Poems for High School
- Ode Poems for High School Creative Writing
- Limerick Poem Writing Activity
***This resource includes a PowerPoint file and a PDF file within a zip folder. Please be sure you have the appropriate software for unzipping a zip folder before purchase (if you have any issues, Teachers Pay Teachers has great tech support and a FAQ page). Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure this resource supports your and your students' needs. The whole resource is included in the preview.