Please be sure to download the preview file as it shows all of the pages that are included in this product. I want you to be sure this is the right product for you before purchasing.
This is an 8-page reading response activity for John Rocco’s Blackout for students in 3rd-4th Grades. I would also recommend it for a higher level second grade class.
It’s a good idea to do a bit of pre-teaching about just what exactly a blackout is prior to assigning the booklet/activities. All of my students had experienced one, but not everyone was familiar with the term “blackout”.
This product includes:
• A title page for students to color
• A “Before Reading” page with three questions where students activate schema, make predictions and discuss the Caldecott award
• Three “After Reading” pages where students write about their text-to-self connections, think about the characters’ actions and how the power outage brought the family closer together, and a Venn Diagram activity where students compare their neighborhood to the one in the text
• An “Identify the main events” page where students write about an important event from the beginning, middle and end (this activity is perfect for students on a modified academic program)
• A “Be Prepared” page where students practice non-fiction writing skills by generating lists of specific items one should keep in the home to prepare for a blackout
• A “Compound Words” page where students color the pictures of compound words and then write them in alphabetical order
This product does not need to be assigned as a booklet. It can easily be broken up and set up as a number of literacy stations. It would also work very well as your Emergency Plans for your Literacy Block. I’ve designed this product so that it is easily differentiated. There is something here for all learners. Most students will be able to complete all of the tasks, but there is purposeful work that can be assigned to those students with different learning needs.
The preview is the best description of this product, please be sure to take a look at it, as it shows all the items that are included.
Thanks so much for visiting my store. If there is anything I can do to make this product better suit your needs, please don’t hesitate to ask, sometimes all it takes is a little tweak here and there to make a product perfect for your classroom.