This true story of a young boy and his family in the blizzard of 1978 is a beautifully written, Caldecott Award winning book. This 45 page book response journal includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, and story elements that include:
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
- Important story events
-14 specific comprehension questions
After Reading Activities:
- Character analysis – proof from text
- Compare and contrast character and you
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to author
- Main Idea
- 4 Reader's response writing prompts / text to self
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards plus ABC order of vocab. words
- Beginning, Middle End
- Adjective find
- Important Nouns
-Just Imagine…writing your own “Blizzard Diary” (5 pages)
Can be used in large, small and individual settings. Pages can be used individually or as a packet. Also useful for assessment.
Thank you for considering this work!