In this lab activity, students will solve a theft crime using their knowledge of pedigrees and the inheritance of traits (like ear lobe attachment and blood type) to create a pedigree of a mystery family. They will then determine the genotypes of the family members in order to identify the thief. At the end of the lab activity, students will answer questions about their findings and defend their answers with evidence and reasoning.
How can I use this?
• Practice for mastery of blood type, pedigrees, and basic inheritance patterns
• Fun review activity of multiple heredity topics to tie up your heredity unit
What is included?
- 1 pages of teacher implementation notes (PDF)
- 3 pages of student handouts (PDF)
- A paperless digital version of the student handouts that can be accessed in Google Drive™ (and then downloaded and imported to Microsoft OneDrive™)
- Answer Key (PDF)
- Editable template of the first page of the student handouts so you can customize the mystery scenario to take place where you live! The kids LOVE when this is personalized! (.pptx)
How much class time will this take?
For the average student this takes 50 minutes to 1 hour. Advanced students will finish more quickly, so it is encouraged to have an additional activity for those who finish 5 or 10 minutes early. Check out my Heredity Taboo Cards as a great option for fast finishers!
Is this aligned to Next Generation Science Standards*?
YES! Specifically, it is aligned with HS-LS3-1: Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
What if I am looking for other genetics and heredity resources?
You can check out all of my favorites here!
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Heredity Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking HERE!
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
- Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
- Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
- Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
- Upload this product to any unsecured website or server that other teachers can access for free.
- Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
- Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
*: NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.