This product, by It’s Not Rocket Science,
is an investigative activity to help students master blood type, pedigrees, and basic inheritance patterns. Students will solve a theft crime using their knowledge of pedigrees and the inheritance of traits like ear lobe attachment and blood type. Students will first create a pedigree of the mystery family, and then determine genotypes of the family members in order to identify the thief. At the completion of the lab, students will answer questions about their findings and defend their answers using their knowledge and understanding of inheritance patterns.
Do not purchase if you have already purchased my Heredity Unit Bundle, Biology Complete Curriculum Bundle,
or Biology Activities Bundle
because you already have this product!
How can I use this?
• Practice for mastery of blood type, pedigrees, and basic inheritance patterns
• Fun review activity of multiple heredity topics to tie up your heredity unit
What is included?
• 3 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 3 pages of student handouts
• Answer Key
• Editable template of the main student handout so you can customize the mystery scenario to take place where you live! (The kids LOVE when this is personalized!)
How much class time will this take?
For the average student this takes 50 minutes to 1 hour. Advanced students will finish more quickly, so it is encouraged to have an additional activity for those who finish 5 or 10 minutes early. Check out my Heredity Taboo Cards
as a great option for fast finishers!
Is this aligned to Next Generation Science Standards?
YES! All of my products are aligned with specific Next Generation Science Standards. Specifically, it is aligned with HS-LS3-1. Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
What if I am looking for something for protein synthesis?
Check out my Protein Synthesis Scavenger Hunt
as another fun, interactive, and customizable activity!
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Heredity Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking HERE!
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add at least one new product every week so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at 50% off by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.