These two crossword puzzles are based on 54 challenging words (2 words per chapter) from BLOOD ON THE RIVER. The first puzzle covers Chapters 1-13; the second puzzle covers Chapters 14-27. To solve the puzzle, students either complete the definition or provide a synonym for the challenging word. Here are examples of two typical clues:
"The food is MONOTONOUS and salty." (the ___ every day) ANSWER: same
I tell myself that he is WILY and smart, and will not easily fall into Chief Powhatan's trap. ANSWER: cunning
Students can complete these crosswords either before reading by using a dictionary or thesaurus so they are familiar with the words beforehand (good homework or competition activity!), or they can complete them after reading the first half and then the second half of the book. As with all crosswords, as students work, the answers they have completed provide them with clues. Teachers might consider focusing on and testing over the 25 words that are featured on the Words to Know list of my Bookmarks Plus: Blood on the River edition. Students can refer to the list as they read to reinforce meanings of those 25 words. Also the same 25 words are the focus of my Blood on the River Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary puzzle. Use all three products to reinforce meanings! Much more fun than simply memorizing definitions!
Here are my unique products over BLOOD ON THE RIVER!
* Bookmarks Plus: BLOOD ON THE RIVER edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—Similes from the book! Each quotefall is an example of sentence containing a simile from the story. Students form individual words of the sentence by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: 10 Word Merge Puzzles—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: 2 Prereading Vocabulary Crosswords! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Blood on the River Synonym/Antonym Crossword to reinforce meaning! Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword— A unique crossword! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the two prereading crosswords to reinforce meaning!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!