NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from BLOOD ON THE RIVER.
Examples of clues:
* “The student,” he says gravely, “has IMPALED the teacher.” (syn.)
* And she is NAÏVE—she trusts Captain Ratcliffe to keep her safe and fed. (ant.) ANSWER: suspicious
* Those of us who have no weapons discuss the MERITS of protective techniques, like hiding under a mattress. (syn.) ANSWER: value
* Captain Newport’s BARITONE voice fills the ’tween deck. (ant.) ANSWER: high
A fun way to learn vocabulary!
NOTE: This puzzle contains the 23 Words to Know from BLOOD ON THE RIVER edition of Bookmarks Plus. Use both to reinforce meaning!
Blood on the River edition of Bookmarks Plus—A Handy Little Reading Aid
Also, these same 25 words are part of my BLOOD ON THE RIVER 50-Word Prereading Vocabulary Puzzle. (See list below.)
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over BLOOD ON THE RIVER—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: BLOOD ON THE RIVER edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—Similes from the book! Each quotefall is an example of sentence containing a simile from the story. Students form individual words of the sentence by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: 10 Word Merge Puzzles—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: 2 Prereading Vocabulary Crosswords! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Blood on the River Synonym/Antonym Crossword to reinforce meaning! Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* BLOOD ON THE RIVER: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword— A unique crossword! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the two prereading crosswords to reinforce meaning!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!