A book a week: Blossom Possum by Gina Newton
Read the book daily for a week and complete an activity a day - oh so simple!
All activities were created with Year/Grade 1 in mind. I assume most kids will be able to read and write basic sentences. Teacher modelling will definitely be needed!
1. Sequencing – students cut out characters and glue in the order that they join Blossom on her quest. Two options provided – one with words and one without. I suggest you glue onto strips of paper. Students can glue as teacher reads.
2. Multiple Choice Comprehension
3. Character/Action Match-up – students match up each animal to their movement word.
4. Who Said That?– students write or cut/paste character phrases.
5. Story Retell - students do a written retell on the story. Great for writing assessment and a good indicator of story comprehension.
6. Word Work - students sort story words into categories.
7. Brain Stretches and Base Words - students change story words around to make new words and circle base words in story words.
8. Cloze (1) – comprehension
9. Writing/Brainstorming - students write down some different ideas on what could have fallen on Blossom Possum’s head (if it wasn’t the sky). Students could paint leaf. Would make a great display.
10. Labels a Possum – super simple activity.
11. Cloze (2) - another cloze, but this one has missing CONJUNCTIONS.
12. Writing/brainstorming - students write (in the band-aids) some advice on how to fix Blossom Possum’s sore head after the ‘sky’ fell on it!
13. Word Sleuth
14. Suggestions for Art/Craft/T&E
15. External link to another Blossom Possum resource.
NOW PART OF A BUNDLED SET - save $$
Bundled set: Wombat Stew, Koala Lou and Blossom Possum
Prefer a different font? Just ask.. if I can, I will!