This resource is a student booklet filled with information, activities and experiments that will teach students all about boats and buoyancy. At the end of the unit is a summative assessment where students design and build (optional) their own pirate ship, demonstrating that they know what a good boat consists of.
In this resource, students will:
• Classify materials on the basis of their buoyancy (sinking and floating)
• Alter or add to a floating object so that it will sink, and alter or add to a non-floating object so that it will float.
• Assemble materials so they will float in water.
• Assemble materials so they will carry a load in
• Assemble materials so they will travel in
• Modify a boat so it will be stable in water.
• Evaluate the appropriateness of various
materials to the construction of watercraft