Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Do you need support materials to help implement a choice reading program? Literature circles, intervention lessons, book club, independent reading arrangements? Creating the materials can be overwhelming, but as a certified reading specialist, I know how crucial choice reading is to students' growth as readers, perceptions of their abilities, engagement in class, and success in life.
These teaching materials are intended to provide natural and enjoyable layers of accountability to your independent reading program, to motivate students to want to read, to provide the "why" for them, and to encourage them to be active readers even when reading independently.
In this bundle, you'll find teaching resources to support implementation of your independent reading program. Included, you will find:
- Teacher notes for suggested use
- A reading interest inventory to gather data from students
- An editable parent letter to notify them about your program
- An engaging literacy presentation to help students see the relevance and importance of reading for fun. I recently revised this editable PPT presentation with updated wording and information.
- A genre notes graphic organizer (should you choose to organize your study by genre as I do or discuss them as part of your choice reading program).
- 20 interesting independent reading journal prompts with built-in concise rubrics to hold students accountable for their reading, all of which require them to back up their thoughts with textual evidence.
- 120 discussion task cards for fiction and nonfiction, which allow students to talk about what they have read intelligently.
- An after reading "I Read This!" activity which asks students to reflect on the book they have completed. You can display the information around the room for other students to get an idea of what they might like to read next.
- Book spines that you can use to make a decorative "class reading shelf." This is also a great way to keep track of how many books your class reads cumulatively throughout the year.
- 11 different versions of reading comprehension bookmarks for a quick and engaging way to track reading progress and understanding. These bookmarks cover a wide range of depth of knowledge prompts.
- 3 reading reflection activities that encourage students to grow their love for reading, to expand their interests, and to think more purposefully about how they should be reading
- 3 different versions of 18 "Why Read?" classroom posters, including a fancy, a colorful and cute, and a black and white version
- A "Why Read?" reference sheet for students
- A summer reading list page and recommended reading lists for middle school and high school students
- Reading and writing tips to share with parents at meet the teacher, back-to-school, or conferences
- Book recommendation forms current students can fill out for future students' reference
- A Bookflix display kit with editable student activities
***Please note that the reading interest inventory, literacy presentation, discussion task cards, "Why Read?" posters, Bookflix board kit, and journal prompts are available as separate, individual products.
I designed these materials to coincide with my student-run book club, but you can use them for any independent or choice reading program. Obviously every teacher will need to develop supporting materials for book clubs and other choice reading arrangements as the need arises, but this bundle will get you started on the right path. With elements of engagement, parent communication, and accountability, you will be well on your way to a successful book club or other independent reading arrangement!
Want to read more about how I use these teaching resources? You can do that here!
Interested in browsing other unique ELA teaching materials from The Reading & Writing Haven? You can do that here!
Try My Reading Ladder with your students for an extra literacy culture boost!
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.