Book Club is an independent reading activity that motivates students to take charge of their independent learning. It can replace centers for guided reading, it gives students choice and keeps them motivated, and it is a challenge. It can be used with any fictional text. It also supports CCSS in reading and writing for 4th-8th grade.
I developed this last year (2013-2014 school year) after completing literature circles for numerous years. I tried it with my students and they asked for more.
It contains the following material:
• Planning Sheet
• Sample of how Book Club might look…how you run your book club depends on the structure of your classroom.
• Book Club Student Covers…3 to choose from.
• Student Self-Assessment
• Book Club Student Contract
• Weekly Assignment Chart
• Text Talk Analysis (formative assessment) 27 different prompts
• Text Talk Response Sheet…3 to choose from
• Show What You Know (14 different formative assessments which can be used at the beginning, middle, or end of a novel.)
• Vocabulary Log/Phrase Log Sheet
• Vocabulary/Phrase Meaning Sheet
• Vocabulary/Discussion Group Expectations
• Book Club Rules Sheet
• Book Club Weekly Assignment Divider
• Group Discussion Cards
I hope you can use this!
This is for single classroom use only. If you intend to share please purchase multiple copies. All rights belong to (©NLarocca2013)
This should not be posted on any website as that would violate copyright laws.