Do you feel like your students are getting stuck in the rut of the “roles” in Literature Circles? Or would you like to try book clubs in your classrooms but are not sure how to structure it? Or would you simply like to add something new to your Reader’s Workshop routine? This starter guide has everything that you need to cultivate rich and meaningful literature discussions!
This starter guide is divided into several sections:
1) Introduction- What are book clubs?
2) How to prepare for book clubs (material preparation tips, how to choose books, how to make a book ballot)
3) Teaching book club routines- 5 complete scaffolded lesson plans on how to establish these routines in your classroom. Lessons include:
- introducing book clubs
- modeling what the discussion leader does
- extending the discussion using discussion stems
- reflecting on the discussion
- evaluating group members
4) Book club management tips
5) Next steps (what to do when one group finishes, but other students are still participating in book clubs)
6) Book club forms and printables, which include:
- sample book club ballot
- book club routine cards
- book club routine posters
- book club anecdotal notes/planning form (2 formats)
- group member book club evaluation form
Purchase this product and you will be prepared to implement book clubs in your classroom tomorrow!