Do you need support materials to help implement a choice reading program? Literature circles, intervention lessons, book club, independent reading arrangements? Creating the materials can be overwhelming, but as a certified reading specialist, I know how crucial choice reading is to students' growth as readers, perceptions of their abilities, engagement in class, and success in life.
In this bundle, you'll find teaching resources to support implementation of your independent reading program. Included, you will find:
- Teacher notes for suggested use
- A reading interest inventory
to gather data from students
- An editable parent letter to notify them about your program
- An engaging literacy presentation
to help students see the relevance and importance of reading for fun. I recently revised this presentation and included an editable PPT version with different wording. You can choose which presentation will work best for your students and teaching style!
- An editable genre notes graphic organizer (should you choose to organize your study by genre as I do or discuss them as part of your choice reading program)
- 20 interesting independent reading journal
prompts with built-in concise rubrics to hold students accountable for their reading, all of which require them to back up their thoughts with textual evidence
- 120 discussion task cards for fiction and nonfiction
, which allow students to talk about what they have read intelligently
- An after reading activity which asks students to reflect on the book they have completed. You can display the information around the room for other students to get an idea of what they might like to read next.
- Book spines that you can use to make a decorative "class reading shelf." This is also a great way to keep track of how many books your class reads cumulatively throughout the year.
***Please note that the reading interest inventory, literacy presentation, discussion task cards, and journal prompts are available as separate, individual products.
I designed these materials to coincide with my student-run book club, but you can use them for any independent or choice reading program. Obviously every teacher will need to develop supporting materials for book clubs and other choice reading arrangements as the need arises, but this bundle will get you started on the right path. With elements of engagement, parent communication, and accountability, you will be well on your way to a successful book club or other independent reading arrangement!
Interested in browsing other unique ELA teaching materials from The Reading & Writing Haven? You can do that here
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.