Even your non-readers can work on remembering story details with these fun picture activities to accompany the delightful book 'Goodnight, Owl!' by Pat Hutchins. The book is not included and must be purchased. This differentiated teaching unit gives you 6 different games with varied levels for mixed groups plus worksheets for homework!
1- Play the board game to remember story characters (using the bird mini poster) and answer questions about the animals
2- Play the board game to compare/contrast each story animal to an owl or tell details about each animal
3- Make and play an open the flap activity, label or tell information about each animal hidden under the flap
4- Play a lotto game by matching each animal with an associated item
5- Play a card game- Tell a fact or give it back!
6- Identify pictured animals as diurnal or nocturnal during play or as an independent activity
7- Spin the spinner and take turns trying to find that animal in a variation of the memory game
8- Complete the worksheets for homework or as an independent activity
Playing any of these games with the book available gets students to practice the 'look back in the text' reading strategy at the picture level.
* a grayscale set for photocopying
* a picture board game with birds and woodland animals for remembering story details- high and low versions for mixed groups
* 76 picture cards in all
* a bird mini-poster
* a making story connections game for producing sentences to tell about items associated with the story characters
* a say and peek craftivity/game for labeling birds or open ended use
* 4 games and 4 spinners, at varied levels for differentiated teaching to identify diurnal and nocturnal animals
* 2 cut and glue worksheets for sorting birds versus woodland animals, day versus night animals
* 5 worksheets for following directions
Be sure to check the preview to see if this is right for you! Still not sure? Just ask a question at my store and I'll be happy to help! Thanks for stopping by! Linda@Looks-Like-Language
36 teaching plus grayscale; 74 total