Book Companion Theme Week: BE PROUD TO BE YOU - A-Book-A-Day Reading Challenge
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This bundle includes 4 weeks (4 resources) of A-Book-A-Day resources to help you easily engage your students with a read aloud each day. WHAT TITLES ARE INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE?⭐WEEK 1: CLASS EXPECTATIONSDo Unto Otters by Laurie KellerThe Invisible Boy by Patrice BartonThe Good Egg by Jory JohnThePrice $16.00Original Price $20.00Save $4.00
- Easily engage your students and meet your A Book A Day challenge with these no prep book companion resources. This bundle includes ALL current and future A-Book-A-Day resources. You can buy A-Book-A-Day resources by a WEEK or a MONTH at a time.WHAT TITLES ARE INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE?⭐CLASS EXPECTAPrice $52.00Original Price $65.00Save $13.00
Easily engage your students and meet your A Book A Day challenge with these no prep book companion resources teaching students to be proud of who they are!
⭐WHAT TITLES ARE INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE?
- The Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammad
- Sulwe by Lupita Nyong'o
- Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
- Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match by Monica Brown
- The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi
⭐WHAT IS THE FOCUS OF THIS GROUP OF BOOKS?
These texts were grouped because they are all about self-acceptance and being proud of who you are.
⭐WHAT IS INCLUDED WITH THIS RESOURCE?
- Mini-Lesson PowerPoint
- PDF printable resources
- Response slides in Google Classroom
- Response slides formatted for Microsoft Teams
⭐YOU CAN READ A BLOG POST I WROTE ABOUT THIS RESOURCE HERE.
⭐WHAT IS INCLUDED IN EACH MINI LESSON POWERPOINT?
- 3 "Before Reading" slides to introduce the text, get the students thinking, and set a purpose for reading
- Link to an online read aloud
- 3 "After Reading" slides including a discussion question, writing prompt, and 5 open-ended comprehension questions from the text
- Closure slide to reiterate the lesson or purpose of the read aloud
⭐WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PDF?
- Teacher Guide
- Book spines for book a day display
- Bookshelf decor item for bookshelf display
- Book covers for book a day display
- Graphic Organizer
- Story Retell Sheet
- Book Recommendation Sheet
- 5 open-ended question comprehension check
⭐WANT TO SEE OTHER BOOK-A-DAY WEEKS?
⭐WHY A BOOK A DAY?
The #abookaday challenge was created by Donalyn Miller, author of The Book Whisperer.
For the past two years I have committed to reading aloud a book a day to my students and the impact has been great. In the past two years (more so than the seven before) my class became a group of learners that valued reading. If an early dismissal or assembly altered our schedule, I would have to find another time to squeeze in the read aloud because the kids were not willing to take a day off.
⭐WHY I CREATED THIS RESOURCE
I created this resource to help teachers fulfill their #abookaday challenge in a meaningful and simple way without compromising consistency or depth.
I try to plan my read alouds a unit at a time so that I am not scrambling, but I was still winging it through unless I had set aside time to come up with discussion questions and extension opportunities for eager kids or for when we had extra time. I started created mini PowerPoints for the read alouds so that everything would be in one place when I sat down to read the book of the day. Those PowerPoints have been combined and polished to create this resource that I hope will help other teachers implement a book a day in an easier and more consistent way.