The Giving Tree is a great book to read at all different times of the year. Read it in the spring when you are studying plants/life cycles. Read it for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day to discuss unconditional love. Read it in November for Thanksgiving and your autumn theme (leaves).
This resource has activities that are differentiated and therefore can be used with a wide range of skill levels. Suggestions are given along with a 5 day lesson plan with activities built into each lesson. Many Common Core standards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade are covered along with many sight words (high frequency words).
Students are read the book multiple times with various objectives so that they can begin to understand the emotions and implications of the story. This fairly comprehensive 152 page resource
includes a 5 Day Suggested Lesson Plan which covers many skills and several center activities. Most pages include color and black and white for your printing preferences. Incorporated activities:
- activate and assess with graphic organizers
– many activities for whole group (or small group) instruction as well as center and independent activities.
– class book where students write about unconditional love, writing a different ending to the story, writing about what makes them happy, writing activity about character traits and 1 other additional writing activity
Story Element Posters
11 posters to pick and choose from depending on the level of your class. Posters are for: Characters, Setting, Problem, Solution, Plot, Non-Fiction, Fiction, Author, Illustrator, Photographer, Title
Story Element Puzzles Center Activity
with recording sheet for accountability. Answer key included.
Story Element “Tree”
writing activity with photo instructions.
Story Element Worksheet
Spin a Vocabulary Word Center Activity
with photo instructions for making a spinner that is (almost) kid proof! Play with a partner or play alone. Answer key provided.
Student Sight Word Reader
with Repetitive Text. Two pages per sheet to save on printing!
Who Am I
Activity for whole and or small group instruction and also includes instructions for the activity to be added to your Pocket Chart Center.
Posters and Worksheet for Writing
Worksheets Vocabulary Word Search
with included answer key, Punctuation and Capitalization
with included answer key, Problem and Solution
Cause and Effect Center Activity
- Students match the cause (boy) to the effect (the tree). Answer key included along with suggestions on how to organize the activity.
Sight Word Scrambled Sentences Center Activity
with recording sheet, answer key and suggestions on organization for the center.
Giving Tree Glyph
with teaching information about glyphs, pieces to make the glyph according to the legend, data sheets and examples
Reading/Sequencing Center Activity
with 2 levels of reading. One is for confident readers and the other is for students who need additional support. Answer key is included.
Other Book Companion Products For Grades 1-3
• Book Companion for Flower Garden Grades 1-2
• Book Companion for The Day the Crayons Quit Grades 1-2
• Book Companion ~ Bear Snores On ~ Grades 1-2
• Book Companion for The Gruffalo Grades 2-3
• Book Companion ~ Everybody Needs a Rock ~ Grades 1-2
• Book Companion ~ Leprechaun on the Loose ~ Grades 1-2
• Book Companion ~ Run Turkey Run ~ Grades 1-2
• Book Companion ~ Sneezy the Snowman ~ Grades 2-3
• Book Companion ~ Snowflake Bentley ~ Grades 3-4
• Sylvester and the Magic Pebble Book Companion for Grades 2-3
• Tacky the Penguin Book Companion Grades 2-3
• The Biggest Pumpkin Ever Book Companion Grades 2-3
• The Christmas Wish ~ Book Companion Grades 2-3
• The Littlest Pilgrim ~ Book Companion Grades 2-3
• Too Many Pumpkins ~ Book Companion Grades 1-2
❤️ How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Each time you leave feedback, TPT gives you credits that you can use to lower the cost of your next purchases. Please rate this product and leave feedback.
❤️️ Be the first to know about our new products.
Click this link to become a follower.Follow The Fun Factory.
❤️Like us on Facebook atThe Fun Factory 12
If you have any questions or need help with this product please email us at email@example.com