Book Genre Trivia Game - Book Genre Review Game - Literary Terms
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This is a huge bundle of my popular PowerPoint Trivia Games for elementary and middle school! These are fun, low- or no-prep, and perfect for class parties and rewards. It includes fairy tale trivia, nursery rhyme trivia, book genres, Greek mythology, 100th Day of School, and more!NOTE - Before purcPrice $108.00Original Price $135.00Save $27.00
- This Genre Bundle includes nine genre-based library lessons and activities for middle school. It's great for genre units, genrefied libraries, and back to school. *Some of the resources listed in this bundle are also included in my Secondary Back-to-School Essentials Bundle. If you already purchasedPrice $65.60Original Price $82.00Save $16.40
This Book Genre Trivia Game is a fun reading activity for the middle school library or ELA classroom. Students will love this PowerPoint trivia game that is great for genre review or teaching literary terms. It's all editable, with zero prep for you.
- PowerPoint 2016 or later - YES, it's compatible!
- Google Slides, Open Office, Libre Office, or other software that is not PowerPoint 2016 or later - .
- The game board dollar amounts are trigger animation links, which do not tend to work outside PowerPoint. The trigger animation links are important to game play.
- For best results, your PowerPoint version should be at least 2016 or later. Earlier versions of PPT may not support the trigger animation links.
- Not sure? See below to test it!
Worried this game might not be compatible with your version of PowerPoint or Keynote? You can test it by (Dropbox link).
The preview is a shortened version of the Thanksgiving Trivia Game. If it plays properly in the preview version, then this game is also is compatible with your computer.
- Recommended for: Grades 5-8
- Formats: PPT and PDF (PowerPoint should be updated to 2016 or later)
- Editable: YES, everything except the photos and artwork is editable
- Number of slides: 52 PPT slides + 1 page PDF game play instructions
- Prep required: Zero. This is ready to go "out of the box."
- PowerPoint (2016 or later is best)
- Large screen TV or projector with screen--students need to be able to see the game slides from their desks.
- Using Keynote or an older version of PowerPoint? I recommend testing the game before you purchase. See above for testing instructions.
- I really cannot emphasize enough that this is a PowerPoint game. It is not compatible with other software.
- 52-slide PowerPoint game (editable)
- Game Instructions (1 page, not editable)
- Every question and answer slide contains real photos and clipart that is appropriate for middle school audiences (nothing "babyish"!)
- Links to photo and information sources are included in the Notes section of each slide.
- Easy-to-follow suggested play (this is how I play the game with my students)
- Once a dollar amount is selected, it disappears from the game board.
- Restart the game to reset the game board.
Lots of other genres are embedded within the questions and answers, but these are the major focus. See below for a full list.
- Science Fiction
- Surprise Me - general book genre questions
This trivia game either mentions or teaches all the following book genre vocabulary and literary terms. Feel free to elaborate on any of them during game play!
- hero's journey
- red herring
- private eye
- speculative fiction
- tall tale
- archetype (old crone)
- book cover art often indicates genre
- blending genres
- origin of the word "genre"
The first four on this list (fantasy, mystery, folktales, and science fiction) are their own category in the trivia game. They get lots of mentions!
The rest of these genres are mentioned within the questions or answers.
- science fiction
- realistic fiction
- speculative fiction
- tall tale
- picture book
These books and stories are mentioned within the questions and/or answers. Students in Grades 5-8 should be familiar with many of these, especially since lots of them have been made into movies.
If you are worried your students do not know lots of these references, you can change them as needed. All text is editable!
- The Odyssey
- The Hobbit
- Harry Potter
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- Alice in Wonderland
- The Wizard of Oz
- The War of the Worlds
- The Island of Dr. Moreau
- I, Robot
- The Hunger Games
- Among the Hidden
- The Giver
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- "Little Red Riding Hood"
- "The Twelve Dancing Princesses"
- "Hansel & Gretel"
- "Snow White"
- Sherlock Holmes / Professor Moriarty
- Auguste Dupin
- Sir Authur Conan Doyle
- Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm
- Charles Perrault
- Paul Bunyan
- Pecos Bill
- Davy Crockett
- John Henry
- Elephant & Piggie
- Baba Yaga
- Aesop's fables
- "I Have Who Has" card game (Grades 4-7)
- What's Your Genre Personality? Quiz (Grades 3-6)
- What's Your Genre Personality? Quiz (Grades 6+)
I regularly add new products for school librarians and English teachers to my store. and receive notifications of when new products are posted. All new products are 50% off for the first 48 hours.