This is such a fun way for students to show their understanding of book genres while also identifying the book genre they prefer. You will need multiple books in different genres to put in stacks for groups of students to pull from.
Directions for our Book Tasting:
1. Pick one book that is new to you at this table.
2. Take a look at the front cover.
3. Read the summary on the back or on the inside flap.
4. Look through the book to see the font, illustrations, length.
5. Read 1-2 pages of the book.
6. Decide the Genre and rate the book with 5 stars being the best.
By the end of this activity, students have not only identified the genre of each book, but they how been exposed to new books and now have a list of books that they are interested in.