￼This book is a 2015 Notable Books for a Global Society award winner. "Grandfather Gandhi" is a heartwarming story that conveys the perennial message of peace. Evan Turk's multi-media drawings are perfect for this book. They really make it come to life. They are beautiful works of art worthy of framing. All children should hear this story.
About This Book
written by Arun Gandhi and Bethany Hegedus
illustrated by Evan Turk
Publisher, Year: Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2014 ISBN: 9781442423657
Grade Level: 1 - 5
Lexile: 600 AD
Summary: Arun visits his grandfather, Mahatma Gandhi, and wonders if he has the patience, temperament, and character to make him proud in this uniquely personal tale.
Gandhi Arun, Gandhi Mahatma 1869 1948, Pacifists, Statesmen, Literacy Centers, Book Unit, Picture Book Unit, Novel Study, Picture Book Studies, Literature Study, Literature Unit and Activities, Reading Circles, Book Activities, Picture Book Activities
The Hornbook (00/03/14)
School Library Journal (02/01/14)
The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books (07/14)
Common Core Standards:
2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.6, 2.7, 2.10 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.7, 3.10
4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.10
5.1, 5.4, 5.10
￼About This Product
These activities can be used for individual, small group, for whole class. They could also be used as homework, with guided groups, or with book groups. Small groups could be working on different activities at the same time. The book can be read aloud and selected activities done in class. They could be useful laminated and in a literacy center. It is always a better learning experience if books are discussed in pairs or in groups, in my opinion. Pairs or groups of students can also complete more complex activities.
Students can travel around the classroom to 3 or 4 stations answering questions about the book. The questions can be glued to butcher paper. Each station should have enough squares for all of the class to record their answer. The questions or activities can be posted on the paper or on the wall. Students must support their answers with proof from the book.
Another way of grouping students for activities:
1. Students number off from 1 to 4 within their teams.
2. Call out a question or put it on the board or use the worksheet and duplicate or
cut up the cards so each group has a card.
3. Students in teams discuss the answer together. They need to make sure everyone
on the team knows the answer.
4. Teacher randomly calls a number from 1 to 4. A spinner, die, or numbered popsicle sticks may be used.
5. On each team, the student whose number was called writes the answer on the team answer board. The selected person may not receive any help from their team. It must be done alone. This student places the answer board face down when answer is complete..
6. Have the designated student stand and hold up their response board to show their answer when all teams are ready. Each team's answer is checked for accuracy.
7. Repeat with additional questions or other activities as time permits.
￼This product contains the following activities:
￼● Computer vocabulary practice with Quizlet
● Vocabulary Map
● Vocabulary and definition cards – there are five words on each page. There is the word and the definition next to it. These could be laminated and cut apart to study or play a matching game. Or you could cut through half of the page horizontally under either the word or the definition and fold down the center on the line. This would make a foldable pamphlet and you could have kids draw a picture, write a sentence, synonym, antonym, or other vocabulary activity.
● Linking Vocabulary Words
● Word sorts by number of syllables, parts of speech, alphabetical order, and number of letters-all with answer keys
● Word shapes with answer key
● Choose correct spelling of a word from four choices with correct spelling with answer key
● Words with missing letters with answer key
● Wordsearch with answer key
● Scrambled words with answer key
● 7 Vocabulary Words with answer key
● About Grandfather Gandhi questions with answer key (code)
● Jobs at the ashram
● Lightning or Lamp?
● Marking the text with answer key
● How does Gandhi show humility with answer key
● Sequencing seven events with sequencing page and answer key
● Title page activity with answer key
● Write the questions to these answers
● Cloze exercises with answer key
● Proofreading capital letters with answer key
● Scrambled sentences with worksheet for rewriting
● Bookmark Scavenger Hunt
● Come to your senses
● About Grandfather Gandhi
● Book interview with a friend
● A-B-C Book Order
● Three most important events
● Draw your favorite part of the book
● Draw a comic strip to summarize the book
● Describe an event
● Folding Face
● Write a diamante poem about Gandhi (print on back of folding face)
● Board Game