PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Perfect for Earth Day! In this extensive Botany STEM Challenge, students create window greenhouses and observe plant growth. Then they use the engineering design process to build a plant transportation device to safely carry their saplings home! This challenge also highlights Katherine Esau, a pioneer in Botany. History, science, engineering, and math-- it is all included along with teacher instructions and student handouts.
This hands-on activity includes a design challenge that allows students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect math topics to real-world applications. As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. You will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building a plant transportation device to hold a plant that is watered. Our students have loved this activity, and we know yours will too!
This packet includes:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Printable window greenhouse with instructions
- Plant anatomy handouts
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Student recording sheets for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including graphing, ratios, measurements, perimeter, area, and volume (applicable sheets in both SI and metric units).
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stage of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own balloon rocket device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥