Perfect for Earth Day! In this extensive Botany STEM Challenge, students create window greenhouses and observe plant growth. Then they use the engineering design process to build a plant transportation device to safely carry their saplings home! This challenge also highlights Katherine Esau, a pioneer in Botany. History, science, engineering, and math-- it is all included along with teacher instructions and student handouts.
This hands-on activity includes a design challenge that allows students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect math topics to real-world applications. As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. You will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building a plant transportation device to hold a plant that is watered. Our students have loved this activity, and we know yours will too!
This packet includes:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Printable window greenhouse with instructions
- Plant anatomy handouts
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Student recording sheets for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including graphing, ratios, measurements, perimeter, area, and volume (applicable sheets in both SI and metric units).
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about new discounts, freebies and product launches!
Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.
Check Out Our Related Products!
• STEM Lunar Crater Challenge
• Science & Engineering Careers BINGO Game
• Math and Sports STEM Activities/Project: Ratios and Proportions
• STEM Space Lander Challenge