Get ready to bowl while practicing sight words with these engaging activities! An estimated 65-75% of all words we read are made up of sight words. Knowing that, I'm sure we all agree that quick mastery of sight words is a must. This packet contains all of the Dolch words that appear on the Pre-Primer, Primer, and Grades One and Two lists. You'll be amazed by how fast your kids learn their sight words with this packet!
This packet is meant to be used WITH a bowling set that can be purchased (or made with water or Gatorade Bottles) in most stores. I’ve designed this printable packet to be low-prep and for students to complete independently and with partners.
This resource includes:
- Directions and tips for success
- 180 Sight Words
- Seven Funsheets that have five spaces for sight words with free choice activities on bottom. (They select 2 to complete.) The Funsheets can be rotated throughout the year and provide plenty of activities to keep kids busy. Once it’s time to repeat worksheets, you can suggest that they pick activities they skipped the first time.
- Seven of the same worksheets except there is space to write ten sight words. You choose what's best for your group.
- Two-page description of each activity as well as a one-sided version. Can also send this home to parents.
- Tips for success for the teacher
Please click on “View Preview” for a preview of this resource.
I print, cut, and laminate the words and use Velcro to attach to the pins. I store the words in a small shoe box in ABC order so I can easily pull the words I’m looking to use with my students or small groups. If I'm working with five sight words, I simply leave other pins blank OR put on review words that they will have to spell when knocked down, but not write on the weekly sheet.
- I introduce the words to the kids and we do a few short activities like snap, cheer, and clap them out.
- Kids (groups of 2-3) bowl from a determined point and write the words from the pins they knocked down on the funsheet. I allow each child to bowl until all pins are down. When they knock them down, they have to say-spell-say the word each time they write one down.
- This doesn’t take too long so I allow them to continue bowling for another 5-7 minutes after they’ve knocked them all down. However, they MUST say-spell-say the words they knocked down each time for practice and when they reset the pins.
- Then it’s time to complete the rest of the funsheet. While they’re working on the rest of the activities, I have the next group start bowling.
I really hope you'll be bowled over by this packet!
Check out other Sight Word materials that may be helpful to you:
- 220 Sight Words Power Point
- Tic-Tac-Toe Sight Words (Follows K List for Journeys)
- Tic-Tac-Toe Sight Words (Follows First Grade List for Journeys)
Let's keep in touch!
☀️ Follow me on Instagram