The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
DISCOUNTED by 10%
THIS IS A BUNDLED PRODUCT ON THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS - SEE THE LINKS BELOW - IT MAY BE USED WITH THE BOOK AND THE FILM.
• Holocaust Studies: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (Research Qs; Critical lens Q)
• Holocaust studies: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (two essay Qs & vocabulary)
• The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (film) (Holocaust/WWII) (test and essay Qs)
MOVE AWAY FROM GENERIC QUESTIONS AND INTO TEXT-BASED ASSIGNMENTS WITH QUESTIONS THAT REQUIRE CRITICAL THINKING, READING, AND WRITING
Included in this unit are the following:
➢ This unit allows for differentiated learning; some students may be more comfortable with the questions that focus on the lower levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy (remembering/ comprehension and simple applications/understanding), whereas other questions provide students the opportunity to focus on higher levels (analysis and evaluation).
➢ 21 multiple choice questions and answers – these questions are based on the film and the book.
➢ Information on parables and fables.
➢ Two Critical Lens Quotation Practice questions. Please note that the follow up questions differ. For instance, one asks the students to: “Use the criteria suggested by the critical lens to analyze the works you have chosen,” and the other asks for the following: “Explain how these literary works support your opinion regarding the quotation.” I have kept the two different versions so that you can decide for yourself if you prefer one set of questions to another.
➢ Eight vocabulary words with definitions. The vocabulary list contains words that students should define in order to understand Nietzsche.
➢ All of the essay questions included here are text based and require critical thinking, reading, and writing; they address concerns regarding the Common Core ELA/ Literacy: Shift 4: Text-based Answers.
➢ One of the essay questions asks students to interpret a small excerpt from Nietzsche’s Thus Spake Zarathustra (included), or students can try to interpret a longer section of Nietzsche that is also included.
➢ There are suggested answers for the textual analysis section; the chapter on Nietzsche includes a series of notes for comprehension.
➢ There are a total of 14 essay questions with 13 sub-questions:
• 10 essay and/or discussion questions – with thirteen sub-questions; some of these questions are based on the film, some on the novel, and some compare the two.
• A further three essay questions that require extra research; one of the questions compares the book/film to Hannah Arendt.
• There is one question that compares an excerpt from Nietzsche’s Thus Spake Zarathustra and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas – the quotation is broken down for close textual analysis.
• These questions vary as to difficulty and are aligned with the following Common Core Standards:
• Infographic Series: MAUS I & II
• Infographic Series: NIGHT
• Maus I and II (test; essay questions; detailed answer key; teacher notes)
• Infographics: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Copyright © 2013, jellycat-in-the-snow productions
All rights reserved by author
Permission to copy for single classroom use only
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only
Keywords: Textual Analysis; The Boy in the Striped Pajamas; History; social studies; ELA; Literature; essay questions; CCSS; study guide; shift 4; text-based answers; Critical Lens Quotation
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the red star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. This will be the first in a series of these units.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License