Let's simply face the fact that we can ALL use a brain break here or there!
Ok...so when I was growing up and my mind got stuck and would not move forward or even backward...what did I do? YES I took a BREAK...Brain Breaks
Or Ways to Encourage Students to Refocus in a Fast-paced World
is just that a break to clear our minds and then come back and pick up where we left off
YES..Brain Breaks is a BUZZ word that recently surfaced among educators, but in my day about 34 years ago when I entered the teaching world, they were “things to do when your class demonstrated that they needed a BREAK!”
So you see..we have been doing it all long, but maybe YOU did not realize it!!!
Here is a cute quick story to support the research: One day after a “Brain Break Activity,” I said to the class, “Wow, you are really on target today, everyone is working, focused and doing their best! Way to Go!” A little girl raised her hand and said, “ It must be the activity we did for our “Brain Break.” It made me feel ready to to work again!”
So there you have it! Straight from the mouths of babes...as they say!
We can ALL use a Brain Break. I sit at the computer too long and I NEED to get up and move or do something else for a bit before “getting back to work!”
With that being said, I have collected a few ideas that I have used over the years to give my “kiddos” a Brain Break or a way to move around before refocusing to the task at hand.
I have included 24 ideas on cards that can be cut a part and stored on a ring somewhere in your classroom for fast reference. I used to hang them on my easel by my “teacher chair” on the rug. They range from movement, to sensory to relaxing ideas and most, if not all, are tried and true by the enthusiasm of my students!
Here are a few quickies that are not listed on the cards can be found below:
1. Come to circle and share what you liked about the day so far.
2. Share which station or center you felt was the hardest easiest and why.(these can be done whole group or turn and share etc).
3. Share your plan for tomorrow when you are working: what would you do differently, what worked, what didn’t work, what will you change? etc.
4. Who did you work with today and what did you do?
5. What is your high point of the day so far. Do you have any low points? Explain your thinking.
6. Sky writing words in the sky is always a good break.
7. Snack and a drink will work, too.
8. Partner write or draw on your partners back and see if you can guess what your partner drew.
9. Run, skip, hop in place.
10. Turn and talk to your partner about the day in a silly voice or the teacher can dictate the voice…mouse voice, baby voice, monster voice etc.
11. Dance Party to favorite music…everybody dance!
Check out what is in the packet and your class will sure to have fun during Brain Breaks and be ready to learn!
for purchasing, downloading, browsing, following and inspiring! I hope this brings a bit of sunshine your way! If you find anything in this packet that needs to be reworked or might work better for your students, please let me know and I will be happy to rework any activity/packet that you have purchased to fit your needs.
Blog: Joys Sunshine and Lollipops
FB: Sunshine and LollipopsIG: Joy's Sunshine and LollipopsPinterest: Sunshine and Lollipops
I appreciate feedback
It helps me decide which products are most helpful and valuable for your students. I Love to create so if there is anything that you might need or want to make your job easier, just let me know!
To Earn Credit for Future Purchases,
Go to My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback Link
. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the resource. Each time you give feedback, you receive feedback credits that you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases
Become a Follower
If you would like to be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches, click the GREEN STAR
next to my shop logo on my main page and you will become a follower. This “easy peasy” action will now send you email updates about this store. If you have any questions, be sure to contact me!