Brain: Break from the typical recall type of learning. Instead, teach your students about how their brain works, and how they can become more effective learners.
All About the Brain Science is cool and YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A NEURO SCIENTIST TO TEACH YOUR KIDS ABOUT THE BRAIN
PRODUCT REVISED 7/31/16...all links were tested to make sure they still worked.
This brain unit is written for younger kids to read and learn about their brain. Included is a Teacher Guide which provides broad lesson plans based on:
• Why do You Need to Know about Your Brain
• Introduction to Your Amazing Brain
• The Cerebrum Left Brain/Right Brain
• Different Areas of the Brain with Different Jobs
• The Role of the Central Nervous System
• Brain Cells Have Special Names
• Taking Care of Your Brain
The Big concepts taught in this unit
• Everything we do on a daily basis affects our brain’s growth
• There is unimaginable and unlimited power in the idea that we
have some control over our thinking.
• Each part of the brain has a special name and function
• We can have a healthier brain through exercise, diet, and by
facing challenges even when failure seems likely.
The student’s books provide an opportunity to read informational/explanatory text and can be used in several ways.
• Students read text whole group during reading block with
teacher scaffolding the process
• Students read text in a guided reading setting
• Students read text whole group during science block
Pacing is easy since it is organized around the different parts of the brain and their functions. This makes it extremely easy to stop and start logically. I have included activities for the students to better process the information, and have included YouTube links and websites to enhance their learning of the material.
This unit is very teacher friendly. Copy off books for the students and follow the links that go with each lesson plan. I suggest a running list of questions be kept so students have an authentic purpose to conduct some research. I have included Web links for some awesome craftivities.
I wrote a couple of songs for the unit, but more can be easily found using the website information I have provided.
My Amazing Brain is colorful, fun, and promises to make your kids look at their brains in a completely new way.
Student Book is 26
Teacher's Guide is 14
If you are promoting GROWTH MINDSET in your classroom then this unit will turbo-charge your efforts.