Brain Teasers for Transitions is a set of 25 pages with more than 250 higher level thinking activities that are perfect when you have an extra five to ten minutes of transitions, and you'd like an educational but very fun activity for the kids to do. These are great right before recess or lunch when the kids are restless, but there isn't enough time to start a new lesson. Great set to leave out for a sub and they're also perfect for fast finishers and if you'd like to use them this way, You could print the handouts (laminate if you'd like) and there is a template that the kids can use that will work for all of the brain teasers.
One great thing about these activities is that if you'd like to use them with the whole class, there are no copies to run off! Just take a page, ask a question and have the kids respond. I like having the kids use whiteboards but you could also do thumbs up or down, a simple raising of the hand, partner sharing, and more.
Each page is loaded with a variety of activities that are fun and engaging! Here’s a sample of a few types of activities your students will love!
• Two Truths and a Lie: Two of the facts about famous Americans are absolutely true but one of them isn't. Read all of the facts and have the kids guess which one is the lie.
• Would you Rather… Kids must choose between the two items. There is no “I like them the same”, or “I don’t like either of them” business!
• Find the Pattern: Math thinking activity. After coming up with the next two numbers, I like to have the kids tell me the rule mathematically
• How Many ______ Can You Name? Here the whiteboards would come in handy. I definitely set a time limit for this or some smart kid will go all day!
• Analogies: Once kids figure them out, it’s a great idea to discuss “why” they work.
• Name That Continent: A country is listed and the kids try to determine (Ok…lots of times they guess) which continent it is from. Here’s your chance to put that globe to good use!
• Which Two Don’t Belong: A list of words that fit a certain category. Sounds easy? Not always as often the words are very similar in nature.
• Scientific Questions: Food chains, landforms, solar system, magnets, weather, animals and more!
I love these Brain Teasers and think you will too! They are a lifesaver for spare minutes and are great to have on hand for a substitute if needed.
Please check out these Brain Breaks too! 100 task cards with over 250 ideas for simple, quick brain breaks you can use throughout the year.
Finally, if you like my work, I would love for you to click on the green star at the top to follow me.
Thanks so much!
The Teacher Next Door