This brand and package student project is somewhat complex, fun and extremely educational. Geared toward any student learning art and design, entrepreneurship, or advertising, and marketing. The 98 page presentation starts off with a lesson in target audiences, then quickly moves onto product gimmicks and taglines. The goal is for students to create an original - "real-world" cereal box design that he or she can proudly put in their portfolio.
Take one-two days (depending on class time) to present the material to your students then "set them free" and anxiously await their brilliant designs! There are 10 assignments the students must complete over the course of two weeks and they are all explained in detail with several visual examples shown in the presentation. Assignments include:
- Cereal Brand Identity Questionnaire: 55 points
- Cereal Brand Logo Sketch: 15 points
- Digital Brand Logo Final: 20 points
- Front of Cereal Box Sketch: 25 points
- Back of Cereal Box Sketch: 25 points
- Front of Cereal Box Digital Design: 50 points
- Back of Cereal Box Digital Design: 50 points
- Sides, Top, and Bottom of Cereal Box Digital Design: 50 points
- Completed 3-D image of Cereal Box Digital Design: 25 points
- Project Written Reflection: 25 Points
Prerequisites include: Adobe Photoshop, Typography, basic color theory, the basic elements and principles of design, and basic advertising/marketing principles. Adobe Illustrator is recommended for the logo design portion of the project. You can skip the digital portions of the assignments if your students do not have the software needed - just tweak the presentation and grading rubrics.
Files included in the attached zip file:
- Cereal Box Presentation: 98 pages including lessons, examples, and rubrics.
-Student Questionnaire Assignment.docx (Microsoft Word)
- Teacher Target Audiences Lesson Plan.docx (Microsoft Word)
- Student Target Audiences Work Sheet.docx (Microsoft Word)
- Project Scope and Grading Rubrics.docx (Microsoft Word)
- Cereal Box Template.psd (Photoshop file)
- Cereal Box Template,ai (Adobe Illustrator file)
- Barcode image.jpg
- Nutrition Label.jpg
- Recycle Logo.jpg
Note: The PowerPoint Presentation is completely editable so you can delete text, images, or complete slides to customize it for your student needs! I have found that two weeks is a good amount of time for the assignments associated with this project - any less time and their designs will suffer - give them more time and they will generally waste it! You can shrink the finished file down and print it on 11x17 paper - we actually did this and then assembled them - they were small - but turned out very nice. Happy Cereal Box Making!