NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book. Also, since most answers consist of one word, students benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from BRAVE NEW WORLD. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and, thus, understanding the story. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact answer.
Examples of clues:
* Ruminating (v.) ANSWER: thinking
* Unprecedented: Not ___ before (adj.) ANSWER: done
* Fused (v.) ANSWER: merged
* Pneumatic: Filled with ___ (adj.) ANSWER: air
* Caste: Social ___ (n.) ANSWER: class
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from BRAVE NEW WORLD edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story as well as a list of main characters, author information, and more.Students and teacher alike love these handy reading aids!
Brave New World edition of Bookmarks Plus—Fun Freebie/Handy Reading Aid!
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a BRAVE NEW WORLD synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. A great way to test students’ understanding of synonyms and antonyms! Clues include the sentences from the book!
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique companion products over BRAVE NEW WORLD—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: BRAVE NEW WORLD—A Very Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* BRAVE NEW WORLD: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* BRAVE NEW WORLD: 50-Word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Helps prepare students for reading the book! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Brave New World edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Brave New World synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to expose students to new words three times!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!